A New Layer Naming Standard

4hotshoez

Many years ago the AIA put together a group to develop guid-lines for a layer naming system. This was to help with file transfers and standardizing what information went on what layer. This made it easier for multiple users to know access/manage data from consultants and others. I found the results very useful in organizing drawing data. I would also like to use a similar naming system in Chief. I would like to know from others, if you have tried using a different naming convention other than what comes in Chief, how well did that works? I believe many layers are embedded into the library objects or in some of the obscure defaults.

I know I can add new layers, but has anyone had success in renaming all the layers to "fit" a corporate standard?

Before I invest too much of my time, I would like to hear from those who have gone on before me.

I tried using the CA supplied AIA layer names, but it did not work out for my purposes at all.

I now use a combination of Chief's layer names, which if nothing else are at least recognizable, and a coding system that precedes Chief's layer names.

The AIA names are mostly for 2D naming standards and have not worked well for me when working with a 3D modeling program such as Chief.

In the process of reworking my set-up for X7.  What I am shooting for is a code that at least loosely follows the Construction Document Sheet Numbers system and the AIA layer naming disicplines, along with my own adaptations.

If you are looking for something that really works for your needs, you will probably have to work out your own system.

A few guide lines would be:

1.  Should work well with the layer filter option in the dbx.

2.  Needs to be able to add new layers to the correct group slash discipline and in the correct order.

3.  Should be short enough to read entirely in the status bar.

4.  Filter should be able to show multiple disciplines grouped together in the dbx.

A good layer naming scheme should also serve as a framework for organizing all aspects of plan production.

Thanks for your input. I do not intend to copy the AIA CAD Layering Guidelines, but use my own version of it. For instance, I do not exchange files with muti-disciplines, so no need to include the "A-" for architectural data as 90% of the data is architectural.

However, I have this question. When inserting light fixtures, electrical switches and outlets, they all came in on the "electrical" layer and I could not find a way to change that default. I wanted another lighting layer, but I could not get the light symbols to change layer defaults. What would happen if I were to delete that layer or rename it and then tried to insert a lighting symbol? How does Chief work with this?

If I change the layer naming system, do I also need to duplicate the core catalog to work with my layer names? I am likely misunderstanding this.

So I just attempted to answer my own question... I can add layers, I can rename the layers, BUT I cannot reduce the number of layers given to me by Chief Architect? Are all these layers coded so that if I rename the "electrical" to "fish, brains", all the lighting and e-symbols will still go on the "fish, brains" layer? Then, if after that, I create a new layer called "electrical" the symbols will not go on that newer electrical layer?

I just counted 156 layers that cannot be deleted. I was hoping to simplify the list.

From what I have encountered, if the layer is used by some type of default routine and it cannot find it then a new layer will be created.

I am not exactly sure what goes on in those situations.  I just try to avoid it as much as possible.  I thought about calling tech support to get a better understanding of what does happen, but I never did.

If I understand your question correctly, yes, the system knows which layers are system layers no matter what you name them latter.

Yes, Chief has layers that cannot be changed. If you go off the standard layers then, if you want to view others plans you could get lost in that, or no one would be willing to help or draw for you b/c they would have to learn your system. Just a thought