when i move my aligned stair and landing it becomes not aligned

SH_Canada

I'm not so sure if this is the problem 

But there's an option to have stair sections move independently & I believe default is checked (on)

Go to preferences > architectural > stairs 

If that doesn't do the trick immediately, I'd say delete the stair and re-place it. Sometimes I run into things where CA doesn't update an object after changing a preference or default automatically & deleting then replacing resolves it.

i have it(stair sections move independently) not checked, which then I would think it would move with the landing. but it did not once it was near the wall

I basically gave up and before creating a new u stair , made sure everything was prefect (distance between the stairs, and the width), and then slid the wall in afterward i put the new u shaped stairs in place

I recommended over a decade ago that Chief allow for Stair assemblies such that each piece and part is attached like branches and ornaments on a Christmas tree

then the entire assembly/block can be moved around at will

try creating a multi-floor complex stairwell system and then move "everything" over 1" 

it currently becomes a real hassle to do so

Lew

10 hours ago, lbuttery said:

try creating a multi-floor complex stairwell system and then move "everything" over 1" 

it currently becomes a real hassle to do so

All-Off Layer set > Turn On-Stairs Layer sets (railing walls if necessary) > Select all  visible > Grab move handle drag in direction/Press Tab and enter 1"...

On 7/14/2021 at 7:33 PM, jasonN said:

But I then I spend the time to align, and then I move and then it no longer aligns, 

It has to do with the landing in particular being designed to auto snap to walls.  If you are having a hard time select and delete the landing.  Line up stair sections how you want them and then using the stair tool click in the middle of the area where the stair landing should go.  It will place and auto size the new landing and connect it to the stairs.  (Does not work as well for split landings but you can do that and then pull the landing back to where you want to transition to the second landing and do the same thing.)

All-Off Layer set > Turn On-Stairs Layer sets (railing walls if necessary) > Select all  visible > Grab move handle drag in direction/Press Tab and enter 1"...
Ryan:
the last time I tried that - many versions ago - it left some pieces and parts behind
that's when I made the recommendation - perhaps it works now
I let my partner do stairs (terrain, roofs)
Lew

8 hours ago, Rpadge said:

Dermot posted on a similar topic that might help you here:

I believe U shaped stairs are always separate sections. I do not have any subsection

9 hours ago, rgardner said:

It has to do with the landing in particular being designed to auto snap to walls.

I see that now, the landing snaps, but the stair does not, so if I am say 1.5" away and bump it one inch to the right with the arrow key, the landing moves 1.5"(to snap to the wall) while the stairs move 1"

but ... a little closer look shows the landing on top of the wall(so maybe it did not snap??), and the stair butted to the drywall. Any idea why that is? what is the landing snapping to?

Thanks

image.thumb.png.644d2bfdbbfa08d4853a39f0fc6a23b7.png

line weights off:

image.thumb.png.d095b792da9b1bcc2e6f7539d2aa9b67.png

19 hours ago, lbuttery said:
Ryan:
the last time I tried that - many versions ago - it left some pieces and parts behind

Using the Edit>Select all option works.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jasonN said:

. a little closer look shows the landing on top of the wall(so maybe it did not snap??)

Moving the stairs will also move the landing attached to it so when you moved the stairs the extra 1/2" or so then it moved the landing that amount as well after it had already snapped to the wall.

I would recommend changing your workflow to what I mentioned above to move them.  Place your stairs and then when they are right then add the landing with the standard stair tool.

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

I would recommend changing your workflow to what I mentioned above to move them.  Place your stairs and then when they are right then add the landing with the standard stair tool.

in looking at trying to do this, I deleted the landing and I could not get the stairs to move all the way to the right wall(even if i use the cntrl key). It appears the the stairs are "Stuck" to the middle wall(probably because the left side of the stair is bumping to the middle wall, hence it cannot move as the wall will not move). If I delete the wall, the stairs will move correctly to the right wall,

In trying your suggestion for adding the landing with the stair tool, when I watched this CA video, it would seem it only auto places the landing when connecting connected two stairs. in my case there are two landings, so it does not work:?

23 hours ago, rgardner said:

(Does not work as well for split landings but you can do that and then pull the landing back to where you want to transition to the second landing and do the same thing.)

or does it work under certain conditions that I need to do?

regardless, doing what you said, aligning the stairs first and then putting in the landing worked, but to some degree doesn't this defeat the purpose of having a U shaped stair tool?

on another bizarre note, if I do not delete the landing and move the landing to the right, the landing and the stair move correctly and stay lined up, but do not go all the way to the wall, then I can either click on the landing to move it the last little bit to the wall, or move the stair to move the last little bit to the wall and they will remain lined up. Totally odd, seems to be some sort of magic number distance from the wall which alters the behaviour

.. see attached. I think I will log this with CA

3 hours ago, jasonN said:

doesn't this defeat the purpose of having a U shaped stair tool?

Using the U shaped stair tool works perfectly fine as shown in Steve's video.  What the issue we are talking about here is how you are adjusting them afterwards and expecting the program to work differently than it's designed.  Looking at your video I would recommend trying to move things using the point to point tool and the Tab and enter distance tools.  It will make a world of difference in your adjustments in the program instead of having to deal with bumping issues.

thanks @rgardner

I admit I rely on the bumping a lot, whereas I should probably be using p2p as you indicate. I just tried p2p and it works, but you have to zoom in a lot to pick up the drywall and to ensure no off angle on the point move (As in this case there is no point you can align the corner of the stairs with (I suppose I could draw a CAD line)). the p2p only works if I highlight both stairs and the both landings prior to the p2p, otherwise the left landing and stair get seperated. If I just do the stair, the stair moves correctly, but the landing moves, just not to the same place (same problem as above). so lesson learned here is you can move the stair around just by clicking on one section and dragging, but once it is near the wall, you have to click select all the sections and landings and then point move or tab move; But of course, I think this is only true once one has edited the stairs, otherwise every man and his dog would have this issue

I tried the tab way for the stairs, but after moving the stairs to be perfect using the tab, the landing moved part way and left 7/16" left to go for landing to the drywall. I could then go move it using the tab the 7/16, seems like a pia

It will be interesting to see what CA comes back with

7 hours ago, rgardner said:

Sorry I don't understand this.

I logged an issue with CA support.

I gotta watch some more videos, I dont know how you guys can not use the arrow keys. You must be very good at zooming in and out, and have some shortcuts for some things...I bought myself a 10key mouse envisioning I'd use a lot of shortcuts, but so far, i haven't got there yet

Moving the landing and not the stair works for me.

Make sure Bumping/Pushing is toggled on.

Make sure Stair Sections Move Independently is toggled off.

Select only the landing and use the arrow keys to move the landing towards the wall - the stairs should stay attached to the landing and both should bump into the wall and maintain their alignment.

I believe U shaped stairs are always separate sections. I do not have any subsection

I don't think this is correct.

I can see that your stairs sections are connected by the presence by their section numbers being displayed.

Open the stairs dbx and you should see both sections listed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glennw said:

I can see that your stairs sections are connected by the presence by their section numbers being displayed.

I was pointing out there were no subsections as that is what the commenter's referenced post had in it. yes there are two sections as part of the stair unit

2 hours ago, glennw said:

Moving the landing and not the stair works for me

yes, same with me. The question is why can I move the stair unit around using the stairs, but when I go to move next to a wall, I then have to grab the landing. Seems odd? Me thinks there is a bug in the software. 

There is some oddball behaviour when you use the stair instead of the landing. I used the tab to move and it moved the stair, and the landing, but the landing not all the way.

but if just go build a four wall room, add in some us stairs and move using the stair, all is well. It has something to do with me editing the landing.