Truss Anomaly?

HumbleChief

53 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

hat other truss has me stumped

I think it is a Bug Larry , it seems like 2 different things depending......

(1) short trusses > is related to the wall on the lower level in the Garage that the Truss just happens to line up with it seems...... Draw a new truss 12' up or down in the plan and it seems to build ok for me....Playing a bit more and the  truss either builds to the Ridge (1) or stops at the end of the Wall (2)  ----used REF layer to see the wall below...

(2) Playing a bit more again and the "Weird truss" seems to be trying to snap onto  the front Entry wall it just happens to line up with, neither is right , so you should probably put it in.

image.thumb.png.447db98ba7dcf6630099ff59c3b12677.pngimage.thumb.png.5757dbe60cf26430e8a2ded102c0b2b9.png 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

But that other truss has me stumped.

Definitely a strange truss being generated, haven't seen one build like that before. Seems like it's related to the problem described in another other thread recently, but what makes it seem different is that the truss enters and exits the lower roof. If you pull back the lower roof and regenerate the truss, it builds properly (after rebuilding the truss the roof can be moved back into place). Sounds like you're already sending in a report on it, which is good so we can look into it further.

ProblemTruss.thumb.png.f35f735b78a4cb49818119950420a4cc.png

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

THANKS Michael! Not an emergency fix needed and have sent it in to tech support. I'll use the work around for now.

The 3 trusses that wouldn't extend to the fascia had "End Truss" checked. Drag a new one and it builds correctly.

@HumbleChief

I think the 'weird' truss wouldn't build correctly because you had no other roof framing. I built the roof framing and then rebuilt the truss and it is correct. I think the truss is looking for a termination, and without it, it keeps looking for roofs and ceilings (maybe).

I always build my roof framing first so that I can see the sub-fascia and use it for snapping. Also, a framing reference marker is helpful to place every truss at the correct spacing.

634212643_TRUSSES3-robd.plan

6 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Trusses are behaving a bit weird on this plan. I'll send the 2D plans to the truss manufacturer so it's not that important but was curious about the behavior. User error? Bug? Thanks.

I would need a few more details on the little end wall trusses but it looks very similar to a bug report that I sent in for X12.  What was your procedure for installing those ?

If it is a match I can give you my case # so they can track it down faster and get it fixed or get it fixed again. ;)

6 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Looks like I copied the small gable truss back towards the main roof plane which explains the short tails and why they all look like gable trusses - DOH. But that other truss has me stumped.

"I would need a few more details on the little end wall trusses"    Had these pieces figured out as above...

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

@HumbleChief

I think the 'weird' truss wouldn't build correctly because you had no other roof framing. I built the roof framing and then rebuilt the truss and it is correct. I think the truss is looking for a termination, and without it, it keeps looking for roofs and ceilings (maybe).

I always build my roof framing first so that I can see the sub-fascia and use it for snapping. Also, a framing reference marker is helpful to place every truss at the correct spacing

good to know, thanks

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

@HumbleChief

I always build my roof framing first so that I can see the sub-fascia and use it for snapping. Also, a framing reference marker is helpful to place every truss at the correct spacing.

634212643_TRUSSES3-robd.plan 8.18 MB · 0 downloads

Actually had the roof framing built first when the truss misbehaved. I'm also pretty sure that if that truss is not in that exact location (instead of copying into position) it behaves OK.

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Actually had the roof framing built first when the truss misbehaved. I'm also pretty sure that if that truss is not in that exact location (instead of copying into position) it behaves OK.

so instead of using the multiple copy , you drew it, or did you copy and nudge?

just or my future reference

tanks

1 minute ago, jasonN said:

so instead of using the multiple copy , you drew it, or did you copy and nudge?

just or my future reference

tanks

In this case I drew the first truss towards the lower part of the roof framing, multi copied and it appears as though that single multi copied truss landed that one truss in the magic spot for it to misbehave. Any other location probably works fine. Probably couldn't do it again if I tried lol. As Mike Long suggested above it seems to be interacting with the roof below. 

I thought "Allow Low Roof Plans" was given to use to stop these Interactions with lower Roof planes but it is on in your Plan.

I am not sure what is up with your Toolbars ( long custom names?)  or why they effect my Toolbars in this Plan but this is weird too....

guess I forgot to lock my toolbars again sometime recently , thanks for the reminder :)

Normal

image.thumb.png.358f2d629e19f6071b95de1f12cbefaf.png 

Your Plan

image.thumb.png.fd1eb7e220f358ff282cc50dfef5d4d1.png

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

I have, of course, custom tool bars that I wonder if they would load in another system? Love the 'normal' tool bars. Is there really such a thing as normal tool bars? :P

I think it is just that you have such long names for some Layers , annotations etc which caused all the drop downs to changes sizes as my Toolbars weren't locked,

I just haven't seen it so dramatic before :)

M.