Curious Ceiling Plane with Cathedral Ceiling on a Shed Design

Doug_N

It seems that if I joists are used for a roof, and the room that is below that roof (actually all rooms in this case) are set to use the underside of the roof for a ceiling surface the ceiling plane is generated above the bottom surface of the rafters.  

1442767243_CathedralCeilingProblem.thumb.jpg.53518a0d9212ffaf1d8885a6991746c0.jpg

I have yet to find out why this is happening.   I don't remember having this problem in X12

Ceiling Plan Problem.plan

3 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

It seems that if I joists are used for a roof, and the room that is below that roof (actually all rooms in this case) are set to use the underside of the roof for a ceiling surface the ceiling plane is generated above the bottom surface of the rafters.  

1442767243_CathedralCeilingProblem.thumb.jpg.53518a0d9212ffaf1d8885a6991746c0.jpg

I have yet to find out why this is happening.   I don't remember having this problem in X12

Ceiling Plan Problem.plan 4.15 MB · 0 downloads

Specify a room. No flat ceiling.

This is a simple model of the more complex building that I am doing.  All of the rooms are specified in that model it the program still behaves this way.    Maybe I should post the plan that is the problem.

6 minutes ago, glennw said:

In the room dbx, uncheck Use Soffit Surface For Ceiling.

Glenn

In the coach house file the rooms don't have Soffit Surface selected.   It still has the same problem.  That was a problem in the simple model that I posted earlier

Doug,

The problem is related to the fact your 3rd floor (aka the roof) is defined as an 'Open to Below' room. Does it need to be a room? I just made one of the railing walls 'No room definition' and the problem fixed itself, but now the 3rd floor is no longer a closed room.

Also noticed you have a couple of those railing walls slightly out of alignment with the walls below, which might not help, just FYI.

Levis,

The third floor is required to create the raining walls and the penthouse.  The Open to Below is so that the floor of the third floor does not interfere with the actual roof.

The penthouse is also on the third floor.

The walls have been nudged to make sure the outer surfaces align.  The railing wall is a pony wall.

Thanks for taking a look at the problem.

Doug

33 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Levis,

The third floor is required to create the raining walls and the penthouse.  The Open to Below is so that the floor of the third floor does not interfere with the actual roof.

The penthouse is also on the third floor.

The walls have been nudged to make sure the outer surfaces align.  The railing wall is a pony wall.

Thanks for taking a look at the problem.

Doug

I know that’s why you have a third floor. What I meant was, do you really need the ‘open to below’ room? Or can the railing walls just be ‘no room definition’ and just have the penthouse be an actual room on the third floor? That seems to solve the ceiling problem, but I’m not sure if it cause other issues.