Double Door Panels Different Sizes?

cbdesign

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2021 at 11:19 AM, cbdesign said:

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can tell me why the "custom" option for door panels is not available to select. I'd like to have a double door with the doors different sizes. 

Hey Christy,

Did you ever find a helpful answer to this question? I'm wondering the same thing and a quick skim through the built-in help menu yielded no results. Have a good one!

27 minutes ago, KDsnyder said:

Did you ever find a helpful answer to this question?

There are two queries in the OP.

The "Custom" option only lets you change the number of panels, not their size. Clicking the help button while on that panel and you'll see the following: "Select Custom, then specify the number of panels on the Left and/or Right door components. Only available for sliding, pocket, and bifold doors." [Bold italics added]

There is currently no built in way to specify the panel sizes for double doors, but there are several work-arounds I've seen on this forum. The simplest work-around is probably mulling two doors together.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, JacobB said:

There are two queries in the OP.

The "Custom" option only lets you change the number of panels, not their size. Clicking the help button while on that panel and you'll see the following: "Select Custom, then specify the number of panels on the Left and/or Right door components. Only available for sliding, pocket, and bifold doors." [Bold italics added]

There is currently no built in way to specify the panel sizes for double doors, but there are several work-arounds I've seen on this forum. The simplest work-around is probably mulling two doors together.

Great response Jacob.  Love the fact CA people read and respond to so many questions without being condescending. 

I think the two door mulled solution works best.  But you might want to add that option to the suggestion pile for future updates?

• Upvote 1

It may be plausible.

Windows can be made into varying sizes, and can be assigned to the door schedule. 

There's no option to add hardware (to the "window"), but the handles can be inserted as a symbol. 

The one on the left is a door. The one on the right is a window. 

Snip20221226_48.thumb.png.2863610cee187ed2d0eaa77488a43578.pngSnip20221226_49.thumb.png.8f0642fd82e87bb468db977450d9e82a.png

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 3:57 PM, JacobB said:

The simplest work-around is probably mulling two doors together.

Although this works, it's more of a kludge and once Mulled (overlapping the Jambs) you need to open the DBX and fix a number of items, as it's almost as if Chief "thinks" the mulled Unit is now a Window, as you need to turn on the "Sills" to get the Threshold to show again, and I generally find I have to also set the Casing Overlap to a negative number eg. -1/4" so it doesn't hang into the opening.  You also can't show them Open in 3D like most doors, so again it's a Window in a Door disguise :)

image.thumb.png.b8456526c91220b094c95374171c6178.png

image.thumb.png.84766e699a800126e5da78cb498b4758.png image.thumb.png.b8683379fc99a839885ff612f1e65b41.png

M.

• Upvote 1

Yep. That's probably the best solution.

...and on a side, it's always great to see folks at CA perusing the forums, and doing the follow up.

The OP's thread is ancient history now, but conversations like this always prove to be a helpful resource for future users. ...and maybe even the suggestion box on new releases. 

Have a great rest of the day. 

• Like 2

You also can't show them Open in 3D like most doors, so again it's a Window in a Door disguise

Couple of things... 

First, there is an option for mulled units called "treat as door" that will make the unit act more like a door. 

Second, if you want to show either door open in a camera view, you just need to use the tab key to select it.  This allows you to have one or both open and you can even have them open different amounts.

Still might be nice if we had the ability to set the width of each component for a double door, just like we can for window components.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

Couple of things... 

First, there is an option for mulled units called "treat as door" that will make the unit act more like a door. 

Second, if you want to show either door open in a camera view, you just need to use the tab key to select it.  This allows you to have one or both open and you can even have them open different amounts.

Still might be nice if we had the ability to set the width of each component for a double door, just like we can for window components.

"Treat as Door" I think is checked Auto when you mull doors, at least in the case above it was already on.....

However I had forgotten about "Tabbing In" similar to Bay Windows, to show one or both Doors open after mulling, Thx.

Yes it would be great if you could simply set the total width , say 60 " , hit Double Door only option and an "Equal" radio button ( On by default) and Chief would just do it's usual thing and split it in 1/2 ( 30" each ) , but it would be great if you had an "Unequal" Radio Button to Check and then (2) boxes ( Right/Left, veiwed from exterior) would be enabled for User defined numbers.

M.

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2022 at 3:49 PM, solver said:

Maybe you need to do more than a "quick skim" ...

Edited to add:

No one should need to copy/paste from Help when someone asking the question could simply read for themselves.

Help is very clear on this as Jacob demonstrated. The "helpful" answer was right there in Help.

I'm really trying to figure out why it is so hard for you to simply answer questions kindly and without a condescending attitude; or to simply not answer at all. Truly fascinating. The OP asked a question to which you replied "check help" as if she hadn't started there... which isn't a helpful response but certainly makes you seem superior. JacobB, a year later, (and only after I brought this back to life and you again responded condescendingly) gave an actual helpful answer which was that there is no way to do what OP is asking for BUT he's seen work arounds in the forum (not the "helpful" help menu as you suggest).

As if that conversation wasn't enough for you, you felt it necessary to double down and again reference the help menu and not answer the question at all; amazing. Thankfully there are many others on this forum who really do want to help. Not only was your answer not HELPFUL but it was dead wrong as it suggested that the menu would have the solution; it didn't. You have so much knowledge that could really help out your peers, it's a shame you waste your energy talking down to people and making them hesitant to ask questions in the future.

For myself and so many others this forum is the perfect intersection of efficiency and knowledge... the engineers at CA did a decent job organizing the "help" tool but it is far from perfect. I've done what you condescendingly suggested so many times to know that the "help" menu is a waste of time and energy in almost all cases. Even if there is an answer, it is the answer CA wants you to have not necessarily the best answer, as evidenced by this conversation; "CA help" said it can't be done and yet the Forum (not the help menu) yielded not one but two solutions. Wasting my time attempting to sort through the maze that is the help menu is ludicrous; I'll only ever "quickly skim".

On 12/27/2022 at 9:59 AM, Kbird1 said:

Although this works, it's more of a kludge...

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation with Screenshots. This solution (together with the follow up comments) was a great solution!

Agree 100% that having the ability to do this in the menu from chief would be such a nice addition to the next update.

On 12/27/2022 at 11:47 AM, DBCooper said:

This was such a great help... here is what I got with all your help! A 5068 opening (1668+3068). Thanks for all who helped!

image.thumb.png.d05b38c2bf216e01b3541b1e5f80f57d.png

• Upvote 2