Chief Architect X13 - Photorealistic ray tracing on a MacBookPro 2020

Benny_G

Dear all,

As communicated by Chief Architect, the photorealistic ray tracing presented in version X13 is not possible on mac computers. The reason for it is that the graphic cards used by Apple are not fit for purpose. Apparently there is a workaround by installing an external graphic card ( NVIDIA RTX or an AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics card). Has anybody in this discussion group tried to run X13 on her/his Mac while using an external graphic card box (e.g. Razer Core X Chroma) and a NVIDA RTX or AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics card?

Thanks for your posts!

Kind regards,

Benny

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Not me personally , I think Rene is the only person I have seen here mention a EGPU but he is not using macOS AFAIK.

@Renerabbitt

I personally would build a computer and emulate mac if I wanted a Mac for this very reason, too many hardware limitations. An egpu will likely have some bottleneck issues depending on which Mac you have. Nowadays my 107gtx egpu is actually hard wired into my x16 lanes on my desktop. Itll get replaced soon if I can ever get my hands on some new cards.

I am having issues with sending layouts to save as PDF where the perspective camera views are not "printing" correctly.   In some of the previews it shows correctly but when I save as PDF the images are skewed or half missing.  See the picture with the Mac I am running and the image of the pdf issues.  Anyone else having this?  I just upgraded to X13.  I never had this. problem in X12.  The cameras work fine for me in the plan.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 11.44.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 11.46.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 11.46.23 AM.png

28 minutes ago, justinorwig said:

I am having issues with sending layouts to save as PDF where the perspective camera views are not "printing" correctly.   In some of the previews it shows correctly but when I save as PDF the images are skewed or half missing.  See the picture with the Mac I am running and the image of the pdf issues.  Anyone else having this?  I just upgraded to X13.  I never had this. problem in X12.  The cameras work fine for me in the plan.

If the Camera are "Live" I'd try sending them as Images to layout instead. ( my SOP )

and please Report to Technical Support , through your Digital Locker

Mick.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, justinorwig said:

I am having issues with sending layouts to save as PDF

Also it is much more efficient as well as polite to start your own post instead of "hijacking" another especially since it does not have anything to do with your request.  You will get way more exposure to your question and more willingness to help from them.

• 4 months later...

I tried using an external graphics card on my previous MacBook Pro and not only did it not fix the problem, it created others and I wound up having to purchase a new MacBook Pro. I would not recommend going that route.  

Since I have to use a Mac for work (our entire office uses Macs), I finally decided to purchase a gaming pc today and can finally run the real time ray tracing.  I can open files I created on the Mac and work on the ray trace on the pc.  

• 7 months later...

Here is the problem though, I have a 2019 Mac Pro with a 16 Core Intel Xeon chip and a Radeon 6900 XT, which is a ray trace capable card. Blender can utilize the 6900 XT and produce real time raytracing using the New Metal API. When is Chief going to dedicate the time to Metal as a viable alternate API? It isn't acceptable to just not invest in that development.

I totally understood when Macs didn't support graphic cards that can Ray Trace real time, but they do know (even the new m1 ultra can), so we need an update to the program ASAP. I use many other programs along side Chief, which are much more efficient on my Mac than a PC. Also, I prefer the OS for many reasons, it is time for Chief to help out the Mac users bring in Real Time Ray Tracing, we are a big part of your community.

-Luke

2019 Mac Pro

16 Core Intel Xeon Processor

6900XT + 5700 XT GPU's

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Lake-and-Land said:

When is Chief going to dedicate the time to Metal as a viable alternate API?

It might not be that simple even though developer tools have been around since early 2020. 

I say this because even TwinMotion hasn’t adapted yet and they are definitely committed to MacOS, and their parent company, Unreal engine had been pumping out Metal games for quite some time if I’m not mistaken.