X13 - Box window Interior - exterior Casing Material

sweethomedesign

22 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Select the Box Window, hit tab to select the actual window, open that window, and then check Separate Trim and Materials on Each Side

I believe Michael is right , though I thought with Box and Bay windows it had always been that way ie Tabbing through to the Window to alter Trim

Mick.

Select the Box Window, hit tab to select the actual window, open that window, and then check Separate Trim and Materials on Each Side

Do this AND check Separate Trim And Materials On Each Side (even though the dbx says Interior Windows) then specify different materials for  interior and exterior trim - works for me.

7 minutes ago, glennw said:

Do this AND check Separate Trim And Materials On Each Side

:huh:

12 minutes ago, solver said:

Anyone notice this behavior is different in X12?

And you cannot place a box window on an interior wall.

Maybe it is a bug? as I am not sure why Chief is Showing these as Interior Windows in X13?  (my example is in an exterior Wall.)

previously you had to Tab in but the Casing was already seperated

image.thumb.png.264365d9ace4ed169e57a66f94024482.png

25 minutes ago, sweethomedesign said:

this is a bug

it is  different material in window detail but when you try to apply material it changes both side.  I attached plan check it 

I already did.  It works just fine.  Maybe check your Material Painter mode.  

It's a bug.  It should be marked as an exterior window but for some reason the program thinks it's an interior window.

Windows and doors work a little bit differently in X13 than they did in prior versions.  In X12 and prior, a window was only considered an interior window if it was a pass-thru otherwise it was always considered an exterior window.  This was very different than doors which were considered interior or exterior based only on the room types on both sides.

In X13, windows and doors are now treated the same.  Whether it is an exterior or interior window or door is determined at the time that it is placed and it will not be changed later regardless of how you change room types, wall connections, or even if you copy a window or door from one wall to another.  Clearly, if you place a bay or box window on an exterior wall (which is the only place you are allowed to), then it's windows should be considered exterior windows.

For now, you can check the "Separate Trim and Materials on Both Sides" option and you should have full control over the casings and materials on both sides.

In the future, you should always report these kinds of problems to our technical support team.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dermot said:

determined at the time that it is placed and it will not be changed later regardless of how you change

I ran into this the other day while helping another User , His walls were (unknowingly) reversed and Windows were facing the wrong way when placed, so when he turned off Interior Trim, the Exterior Trim actually disappeared in the Exterior Camera View, and reversing the Wall (Layers) did not Flip the Windows , so the fix took more work than expected.

Mick.

17 hours ago, Dermot said:

Clearly, if you place a bay or box window on an exterior wall (which is the only place you are allowed to), then it's windows should be considered exterior windows.

A bay window actually CAN be placed on an interior wall so long as its initially placed when the wall is an exterior wall.  Prior to X13, the casing had to stay separated and same goes for normal windows.  In X13 we have some new options.  The only "bug" seems to be that the bay/box windows are initially set to be interior windows.