Layout numbering

ACADuser

22 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Modifying plans I have a need to start the sheet with A-16

Is thee still no way to set the starting number?
A-16 A-# A-# A-# A-#

yields

A-16 A-17 A-18 A-19 A-20

I am not sure to be honest Alan , but that looks like the expected result to me? what did you want?

M.

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I am not sure to be honest Alan , but that looks like the expected result to me? what did you want?

M.

I agree with Mick,  that is what I would expect,  what do you want?

On 7/10/2021 at 11:15 AM, ACADuser said:

Maybe I did something wrong but this is what I get.

I put A-16  and then each successive layout I put A-#

CA layouts.JPG

Ahhhh , that is not what you wrote above though :)   so it isn't working as expected.....

A-#   just causes Chief to numbers pages consecutively  and A-16 would not be considered the start point as there is no A-1

Which maybe the Fix?   ie:  add 15 blank pages before page 1 ?  ( which don't print if Blank )

Michael or Joe may have a Macro though or know another Technique.

Mick.

1 hour ago, ACADuser said:

Yes the "starting number" is the feature I wanted to use.

The 15 blank layouts is too close to using a sledge hammer to drive finish nail for me.

I hear ya :) 

what about putting A-1#    and having 5 Blank pages :) ,..... I haven't tried it ......

but I believe this is something that has been asked for numerous times but I am not sure of any changes in X13 ,

you might have to wait for Michael or Joe to respond ...

@Alaskan_Son

M.

2 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Yes the "starting number" is the feature I wanted to use.

The 15 blank layouts is too close to using a sledge hammer to drive finish nail for me.

Its the only automated option I know of too.  You can quickly create all 15 pages by just using the Duplicate Page tool.  As long as you leave the pages blank, they don't have to print or show in the Layout Page Table either. 

So here is a thought.

If I create a variable A-Start = 15

Then in the layout Page Field I put something like   "A-%(layout.page.number + A-Start).to_s%"

Obviously I have no idea how to get the Page # but would something like that work?

3 hours ago, ACADuser said:

So here is a thought.

Then in the layout Page Field I put something like   "A-%(layout.page.number + A-Start).to_s%"

Obviously I have no idea how to get the Page # but would something like that work?

You should Tag Michael (@User_Name)  or Quote Him so he gets a notification Alan.... 

@Alaskan_Son

It can wait until Monday, the job is not due until Wednesday :)

The previous drafter did the job in Rivet in 2018. I got the CAD export & needed to separate the two houses.

This is the little one that they decided t build finally. It has so may tags that reference sheet numbers that I decided not to redo the sheet numbers, just start the sheets at A16

76 House.png

10 hours ago, ACADuser said:

So here is a thought.

No.  We have no access to the page number information; otherwise, yes, that would be the logical approach.  

• Upvote 1

Hi Alan,

In the project browser add a blank page before the sheet you want to be A-16.

Make the Label  A-#

duplicate that page 14 times so that you have 15 blank sheets in the project browser

The blank sheets won't print

The downside is that they will show in the project browser but you can mark them to not show in the sheet index.

• Downvote 1

Why not just open the Edit Page Information dialog and type in the labels you want?  You don't really need to use the magic "#" in the label, or any blank pages, or anything else.  It's just a simple text label and you can type in whatever you want to display.

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

Why not just open the Edit Page Information dialog and type in the labels you want?  You don't really need to use the magic "#" in the label, or any blank pages, or anything else.  It's just a simple text label and you can type in whatever you want to display.

That can get to be very dangerous as detail callouts can very easily be wrong when pages are added or deleted.

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

That is what I'm doing but thought the automation would be nice to take advantage of.

This is only the 2nd project this was needed. As I recall I used the blank layouts method last time.

Just seems like you (the user) should be able to choose the starting number.

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

Its less about the time it takes to create page numbers manually and more about the time it takes to update those page numbers when pages are added, deleted, or re-ordered.

18 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

That can get to be very dangerous as detail callouts can very easily be wrong when pages are added or deleted.

The referenced details are the reason I don't just renumber the set. The project come over from Rivet & I did not want to chase down all the details. Seems you always miss one.

One of those projects where the client said I just want to make a few changes. Which I did in Autocad. Then the client & owner wanted to have separate plan for each house and make a few more changes. Oh and while your at it lets change the floor truss heights. I have now re-drawn the house in Chief for corrected elevations & floor plans.

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

FWIW, I have many blank pages in my Layout Templates.  I just makes it easier to add content anyplace I need it.  In addition, pages can easily be moved up and down to facilitate ordering the ConDocs.  Some jurisdictions actually have strict rules about formatting the page labels.  Prefixes and in some cases sub-numbered pages are not uncommon - especially for commercial projects.

On 7/11/2021 at 4:53 PM, ACADuser said:

It can wait until Monday, the job is not due until Wednesday :)

The previous drafter did the job in Rivet in 2018. I got the CAD export & needed to separate the two houses.

This is the little one that they decided t build finally. It has so may tags that reference sheet numbers that I decided not to redo the sheet numbers, just start the sheets at A16

76 House.png

Nice boat house. Puts mine to shame.

Boat House.png