Dormer Corners Driving me Nuts

Adam_Gibson

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

This happens when the dormer wall is stacked above the wall below: the siding doesn't display on the outside corners and reveals the "framing." Although in this case there isn't actually any framing. I could cover it with a corner board, but it would be too wide. This is a manual dormer, but the same happens with an auto dormer unless I pull the front wall back so it's not stacked above the wall below.

And as if that isn't insult enough, the lap siding on on the side walls disappear. The main roof is not touching the side dormer wall, which I know would cause the siding to disappear. Any ideas?

Untitled 20.jpg

• Solution
7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Dropbox or Google Drive, etc. works best with the new smaller file size lit

I've made a few adjustments. A couple of points:

1. Cheek walls need "Roof cuts wall at bottom" checked
  2. adjust roof hole polyline where it is not accurate
  3. manually adjust wall connections of cheek walls
  4. ensure cheek walls are using the default material at the exterior (Wall dbx / Materials)

1967753177_CURRANAS-BUILT02robd.plan

• Upvote 1

Roby: Thanks so much! I thought the cheek walls, since they're bearing the dormer roof, should not have "Roof cuts wall at bottom" checked. But guess there would be double rafters to support that. I totally missed the roof hole polyline.

Michael: I assume you mean the little walls that protrude into the room, to hide them in plan view.

Thank you very much!!! I really appreciate your time and effort.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Adam_Gibson said:

Michael: I assume you mean the little walls that protrude into the room, to hide them in plan view.

No.  I was talking about these 2 walls that were causing your problem at the exterior corners...

pic.thumb.png.5bd63b191937ee08ee997b868c693523.png

You could even change them to the Siding-4 wall type for that matter.  There are several wall types you could use actually.  It's the thicker (and unnecessary IMO) exterior layers that's causing the undesirable automatic intersection issues.