Setting default cabinet frame and panel thickness

HarryOrd

I've done a search on the forum but haven't found a specific answer but forgive me if it's been answered before. I'm building a shower cabinet and want to set the frame thickness to be 12 mm and the glass sides and door to be 6 mm. Can that be done? 

5 hours ago, HarryOrd said:

I've done a search on the forum but haven't found a specific answer but forgive me if it's been answered before. I'm building a shower cabinet and want to set the frame thickness to be 12 mm and the glass sides and door to be 6 mm. Can that be done? 

I think easily with Polyline Solids , but as Eric said some pics of this Aussie Shower System would help here as mostly but not all Users are Nth.American based.

M.

Fair questions gentlemen.

I should have been more specific. It's the metal frame and glass that goes into making the enclosure for a shower. I want to use Chief's cabinet tools to create this enclosure. Essentially I want to know if (and if yes, how) I can set the thickness of the "material" that is used to build the base cabinet. When I use the default metric plan the panel and frame thickness is 18mm. The "melamine" board typically used here is 16mm. This is particle board veneered with a thermoplastic coating. You might call it this in the US, I'm not sure.

I want to use glass as my "panel" material which I'd like to set at about 5 or 6 mm. I have been able to use moldings for the top and bottom of the "frame' and using a framed box at 0 size with custom stile "widths" but I don't know how to set the thickness of the stiles.. I'll post some pics in a following post to this one to illustrate what I'm trying to describe.

In the meantime here are some examples of real world enclosures...

SEMI - FRAMELESS SHOWER SCREEN.jpg

alcove-shower-cubicle-with-return.jpg

You might be able to use multiple cabinets with the depth set to what thickness you need.  Position the cabinets as parts as needed then block them together when finished.  I don't think you can change the default cabinet part thickness anywhere?  

17 minutes ago, HarryOrd said:

Fair questions gentlemen.

I should have been more specific. It's the metal frame and glass that goes into making the enclosure for a shower. I want to use Chief's cabinet tools to create this enclosure. Essentially I want to know if (and if yes, how) I can set the thickness of the "material" that is used to build the base cabinet. When I use the default metric plan the panel and frame thickness is 18mm. The "melamine" board typically used here is 16mm. This is particle board veneered with a thermoplastic coating. You might call it this in the US, I'm not sure.

I want to use glass as my "panel" material which I'd like to set at about 5 or 6 mm. I have been able to use moldings for the top and bottom of the "frame' and using a framed box at 0 size with custom stile "widths" but I don't know how to set the thickness of the stiles.. I'll post some pics in a following post to this one to illustrate what I'm trying to describe.

A "Framed" cabinet construction type will let you set Stile widths but I think the cabinet sides are hard coded at 3/4" (19mm) .

A few pics of the real thing will likely give us ideas on how to build it in Chief.

Mick.

33 minutes ago, HarryOrd said:

I should have been more specific. It's the metal frame and glass that goes into making the enclosure for a shower. I want to use Chief's cabinet tools to create this enclosure.

Is there a reason not to use glass walls and shower enclosures that are native in chief?

image.thumb.png.848f944f6d94354af40f430fecaad00f.png

You can also use Kohler and other manufacturers catalogs and build your own glass doors as you want them.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your replies / suggestions.

Attached a few pics to hopefully illustrate what I'm trying to do.

I worked out I can use the Accessories panel and set the Panel thickness (where is the default set?) and apply that as an inset panel in the front/sides/back settings. Thanks to your suggestions I realised I can use / make a door symbol and set the thickness of that.

All I need now is to be able to set the thickness of the frames and stiles! Also, one of the pics asks a questions about where to set a default.

forumpost3.thumb.jpg.138d2c1198f8bb2234706aa108e90f0f.jpg

forumpost4.thumb.jpg.553fcb369d05abdad1150f67e04eee2f.jpg

forumpost2.thumb.jpg.69e196e0968f537fcfab21da86ebfab1.jpg

forumpost5.thumb.jpg.5f7d8e3873e57776b12d218cd5cb76e4.jpg

In Defaults :)    for whichever cabinet type used ie Base.

you may need to make a 6mm door out of a P.Solid and them make a Cabinet Door symbol out of it to use it.

P.S. if you have SSA ? you should have X13 in your Digital Locker for Upgrade.

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

In Defaults :)    for whichever cabinet type used ie Base.

Doh! Where can I find the sheepish emoji? :unsure:

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

you may need to make a 6mm door out of a P.Solid and them make a Cabinet Door symbol out of it to use it.

P.S. if you have SSA ? you should have X13 in your Digital Locker for Upgrade.

I don't have SSA unfortunately. Would X13 help me with the frame / stile thicknesses?

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I don't think so , but I am not sure why you are using Cabinets in the 1st Place? 

Mick.

I was looking for a quick way to generate the enclosure each time I design a bathroom that has this type of shower. I had been using glass shower walls / doors etc. but I wanted to represent the frame as shown in the real world examples and not have to build the frame from scratch each time. With the cabinet, I can now put the frame against any wall combination and more easily have the frame adjusted to suit that combination. I'm definitely not suggesting it's the best way and I'm open to pointers for getting this done in a better, more efficient way. I guess I should probably post this in the tips and tricks forum?

39 minutes ago, HarryOrd said:

I guess I should probably post this in the tips and tricks forum?

I don't think its really a tip or trick as it is a way of accomplishing it that takes double or triple the time of using the built in tools for this scenario.  

45 minutes ago, HarryOrd said:

I guess I should probably post this in the tips and tricks forum?

No , this is the right place , you are asking for help , not presenting a Tip for others.

Personally I'd use P.Solids and make a symbol or as seen below,

I Used Railings just now, which can also be saved to the Library

and the final configuration can also be converted for future use into a Symbol too.

image.thumb.png.3bd740c7d444b697ed723fb860853c84.png

Wall and Newel post to Try : MHD_Shower Frame Wall+Newel.calibz

51 minutes ago, HarryOrd said:

I was looking for a quick way to generate the enclosure each time I design a bathroom that has this type of shower.

First off the 19 mm setting is hardcoded into cabinets (3/4" us) While you can change ti for the accessory panel Chief will always, include that dimension for where a sides meet. You can cheat doors to not resize but the problem arises with cabinet boxes.. That said there are things that can be done with a goo amount of work, and yes there is a feature in X13 that makes it a little easier in that you can set sides, back, bottom to NONE.(see below) But even then you will find there are things you add that don't look right because of the 19 MM setting. Picture below is left side is a cabinet and adjusted to similar size you are after. If this was made with a base cabinet then you could have no top but since what I had laying around was done with a wall cabinet. Plan attached for you to see what you're up against that way.

Picture on the right was a quickie using glass walls and a Fixture interior set to insert into wall. Then that was converted to a door. Both symbols need some work I started with a custom countertop with molding which is converted to fixture interior symbol.

image.thumb.png.abffa8ef549f013c62e0f75a4be6dd89.png

looked through the Kohler  that Ryan suggested catalog and don't see that as being very helpful here.

IF I wanted to have the option of changing the dimensions of the molding pieces often, and configuring different sizes. I would keep a file around with the custom countertop in it to change the thicknesses there and then convert to new symbol.  Then you have options to assemble those any way you like.

Now as to X13. Here

image.thumb.png.06b4f7a0fe94e97809eeb1f183df80e2.png 

I took  the same symbol, imported it, converted to a cabinet door. Tall cabinet, set bottom, top and back to NONE. Sides are side panel inset using that cabinet door symbol, front uses the same symbol. It is also possible to change a shower pan for use in the cabinet.

This does allow you to alter the size of the shower unit, the pan can be a tad tricky (look around for other things I've posted in the past in tips, symbols and Q A for that)

To change the edge moldings you will need to generate new symbols but using the countertop method that is really fast.

Zip with all three plans attached. (I hope :)

Glass w al frame cab_12.zip

• Upvote 1