Floor Height Question...

HumbleChief

Not sure how you all would handle this condition. There is a second floor living area that sits on 12" TJI deep framing and outdoor living area that sits on 2 x 8 framing. If only the floor heights are adjusted then there's that warning about ceiling heights on the floor below can't be changed because the floor heights above vary. Adding an air space to the 2 x 8's brings the floor heights to equal but the framing at the railings and wall transitions are raised over the air gap. It can be handled with a detail but am wondering how you all might deal with the same condition? Thanks

FLOOR JOISTS.plan

38 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Not sure how you all would handle this condition. There is a second floor living area that sits on 12" TJI deep framing and outdoor living area that sits on 2 x 8 framing. If only the floor heights are adjusted then there's that warning about ceiling heights on the floor below can't be changed because the floor heights above vary. Adding an air space to the 2 x 8's brings the floor heights to equal but the framing at the railings and wall transitions are raised over the air gap. It can be handled with a detail but am wondering how you all might deal with the same condition? Thanks

I think this is what you're trying to achieve?... if so, I just got rid of the air space and adjusted the lower ceiling height in the structure tab so it was the same as the other area.

Deck.JPG

Thanks very much for taking the time Mark, and yes getting rid of the air gap works on this simple plan but the warning about ceiling heights can't be adjusted because the floor heights above vary returns and in the actual plan I need that option to change ceiling heights. I'll look again but I THINK I need the air gap?  

It looks like the technique has to include a first floor ceiling height that doesn't need to change before messing with the second floor framing. That way the ceiling heights don't NEED changing when the floor heights above no longer match? Make sense?

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

It looks like the technique has to include a first floor ceiling height that doesn't need to change before messing with the second floor framing. That way the ceiling heights don't NEED changing when the floor heights above no longer match? Make sense?

I'm rather guessing that the issue is that if there's more than one room under the floor that needs adjusting then the problem crops up.  Maybe you can set the walls that break up the room below the area to 'no room definition' and see what happens.

EDIT:  Nope... I put in lower floor walls and what I did above still works... not sure what you're experiencing.

Edited by DzinEye

31 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I’m not sure I’m following what the problem is, but it seems to me like all you need to do is lower the 2 floors.  The air gap seems entirely unnecessary.  What am I missing?

Thanks Michael, the air gap was there to even the second floor floor heights allowing the ceiling heights below to be adjusted if needed. I finally worked it out by ensuring the first floor ceiling heights did not need adjusting, locking the "floor bottoms" when altering the framing on the second floor and now the first floor rooms throw the "can't adjust ceiling heights because the floors above are at different heights (sic)" but now, no need to do so.

Here's a pic of the framing showing the 16" deep TJI's and beams and the 2 x 12 deck joists, both running in unexpected directions but verified in the field. I can now get this to my engineer without having to explain in word only. Thanks Chief, and thanks for the help.

FLOOR FRAMING 2.png

27 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

hanks Michael, the air gap was there to even the second floor floor heights allowing the ceiling heights below to be adjusted if needed.

I know why you put it there.  I'm just saying it wasn't necessary.  Just adjust the floor heights instead of trying to adjust the ceiling below.  Also, just FYI, if you upgrade to X13 you could simply adjust the ceiling height below even if your floor heights above are different.

17 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I know why you put it there.  I'm just saying it wasn't necessary.  Just adjust the floor heights instead of trying to adjust the ceiling below.  Also, just FYI, if you upgrade to X13 you could simply adjust the ceiling height below even if your floor heights above are different.

Got it, and thank you, and as always didn't explain myself as well as I could have but your help is always appreciated. I have X13 but have been hesitant to use it as I found a couple of bugs rather quickly and want to finish up a couple of plans in X12. Didn't know about the ceiling height below change in X13. I'll move to X13 sooner rather than later.