X13 and Macbook Video Card Issue

JoBrilliant

Hello

Asking for some help from Adelaide Australia. I have a MacBook Pro, Mid 2015, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB, 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, and I have just updated to X13. I am getting the attached error message when opening X13, and cannot get any camera views and elevation views. Look I am no computer whizz, so need some help in layman's terms please?! 

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 11.47.28 am.png

If it is the MacBook with the Nvidia Card as well as the Iris Pro, make sure Chief is using the Nvidia Card 1st ( Preferences>Render Tab) but it is possible the Nvidia Card is too old to Support Shader 6.0 or above which is required for the new X13 Graphics Engine.

People on the PC side are running into the same issue with older Nvidia Cards eg in the 700 Series and Lower models.

I suggest Starting a Tech Support case via your Digital Locker as Chief has just released a KB Article ( below) for Windows  to determine the Shader Model.

Your's is the 1st report I have seen on a Mac of this issue. * Note that even if you buy a new MAC , although you will have all the Standard X12 views MACS do not support the new Graphics Engine Chief has brought in this year , it is currently supported on PC only.  (PBR-RT/CLAY not available)

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03146/identifying-the-shader-model-of-your-graphics-card-in-windows.html

Mick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

If it is the MacBook with the Nvidia Card as well as the Iris Pro, make sure Chief is using the Nvidia Card 1st ( Preferences>Render Tab) but it is possible the Nvidia Card is too old to Support Shader 6.0 or above which is required for the new X13 Graphics Engine.

That is really helpful, thanks Kbird1, I will check the preference settings. Thank you

My 2019 Mac Book Pro has dual video cards.  

Onboard Intel Graphics and AMD Radeon Pro

The default is for the computer to use the Intel when running on battery, but use the AMD when plugged in.

In System Preferences > Battery, there is an option to automatically switch video cards when using battery.  This can be turned off.

• Like 1