Version 23.1.0.38 Wall Stud Spacing ?

Chopsaw

So it is all totally automatic as long as you want 16" O.C. spacing ?   What am I missing ?

-Framing Wall Defaults

-Build Framing Wall Settings

-Wall Framing Material 

All set to 24" but I get 16"

Just now, stephenbc said:

Why do you want a 24" spacing?

Just for fun and to hold up the trusses.  Thank You.  I will send it in tomorrow.  Can't believe they would miss that even with in house testing. :wacko:

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Select the Main Layer in that Wall definition and then post another screenshot.

Got it.  Jenna is soo smooth I missed that little nugget.  I guess that needs to be set to default or all the other settings are useless ?

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5514/what-s-new-in-x13-design.html?playlist=173

3 minutes ago, Kiwideziner said:

I don't use that wall framing material. so it must be related to the material definition I guess.

I use a plain material and then at the bottom of the wall framing panel I set the framing spacings.

From what I gather the material no longer has anything to do with spacing.

• Upvote 1

You might check in the wall definition to use the ‘default’ wall framing.  It also looks like your framing material is using "…stud 24 OC”.  In X13 we changed the framing to be independent of the wall material e.g., ‘fir framing’ vs. ‘16” fir framing’.  See attached image if it helps.

framing.png

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, scottharris said:

You might check in the wall definition to use the ‘default’ wall framing.  It also looks like your framing material is using "…stud 24 OC”.  In X13 we changed the framing to be independent of the wall material e.g., ‘fir framing’ vs. ‘16” fir framing’.  See attached image if it helps.

Thanks Scott.   Still curious what the stamp looks like on the material you frame with though ?

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Thanks Scott.   Still curious what the stamp looks like on the material you frame with though ?

I set my framing to use the 'default' in the wall definition - per my attached image in the post above.  Then, in the build framing dialog, you can enter 16", 24" or __".  I think that's the way the new X13 template plan is setup as well.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Still curious what the stamp looks like on the material you frame with though ?

Are you talking about the Material Name?  In the X13 templates, I believe the material is just Fir Framing.  The OC references have all been removed.

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:
10 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Still curious what the stamp looks like on the material you frame with though ?

Are you talking about the Material Name?  In the X13 templates, I believe the material is just Fir Framing.  The OC references have all been removed.

No I was referring to the grading stamp on the framing material used in construction.  It seems that Fir is used in the West and Spruce is used in the East and Pine is used in the South but only Fir is used in Coeur d'Alene for some reason.  Every piece of lumber that I have seen is stamped S.P.F. which I believe covers the majority or situations in North America.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

No I was referring to the grading stamp on the framing material used in construction.  It seems that Fir is used in the West and Spruce is used in the East and Pine is used in the South but only Fir is used in Coeur d'Alene for some reason.  Every piece of lumber that I have seen is stamped S.P.F. which I believe covers the majority or situations in North America.

Around here DF (Doug Fir) and HF (Hem Fir) are the most common.  SPF (Spruce Pine Fir) is a premium product and is probably the 2nd most common.  1x framing material is pretty much always Common Pine.  

11 hours ago, scottharris said:

I set my framing to use the 'default' in the wall definition - per my attached image in the post above.  Then, in the build framing dialog, you can enter 16", 24" or __".  I think that's the way the new X13 template plan is setup as well.

Just something to think about when programming new features.  That non default setting did not come from my template file.

Any way to add framing material types in the framing catalog like SPF, Western Red Cedar, Eastern White Cedar, (In exposed frame areas) Green Treated, Brown Treated, Ground contact treated ETC... Or be able to change the name Fir in the wall type definitions tab. To make the materials list accurate up front and not have to dissect the material list at the back end when were crunched for time. Fir studs aren't readily available here and cost a fortune to order.

Yes ....you can add or make a new material .....

image.thumb.png.c09a7043d31f676cff972c30834a5fc9.png

NO ....the materials list will always say FIR .... the ML is Hard Coded to call all Framing FIR

image.thumb.png.b2db7221cfdaddd266d33a6ed285940e.png

But the Framing Schedule uses the Material Name for the material

image.thumb.png.7f01783c263728fea5128df8ff7461a6.png

24 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

NO ....the materials list will always say FIR .... the ML is Hard Coded to call all Framing FIR

Not exactly true.  In X13 you can edit the material name in the individual framing objects' Components panel and you can also use Structural Member Reporting to control the material name for anything set to Report Actual Lengths.

31 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not exactly true.  In X13 you can edit the material name in the individual framing objects' Components panel and you can also use Structural Member Reporting to control the material name for anything set to Report Actual Lengths.

Sounds like there are some new Options in X13, it is still a lot of Extra Work, that shouldn't be necessary especially since the Framing Schedule can already do it auto. and would be pretty cumbersome with multiple materials as Tony mentioned.

M.