Curved Roof (in plan)

KingsOwn

Has anyone tried to build a roof that is curved in plan?  I guess this is just too difficult to program for auto building.  I note that the edges of roof planes cannot be converted to arcs, which makes sense if no set up for auto framing.

Does anyone have a suggestion for forming the body, or solid form of the roof?  I guess it would be part of a conical shape.

Floor plan is attached, to show the general shape that I am talking about.

Ext-over-2.jpg

Sommerville plan.jpg

There are a few methods, but the quickest general approach is to do as Chopsaw mentioned above and use boolean operations.  You could easily just draw with CAD and then essentially convert the CAD to roof plane(s) similar to the following:

Prior to Polyline Union....

230086516_Step1.thumb.jpg.a2ea3f5904c5ede77b057e9d9026b865.jpg

After Polyline Union...

1812952077_Step2.thumb.jpg.6b46bf1d3163f212abc068bcc9f4ce08.jpg

Last step is to convert arcs to polylines using as many or as few Sides as you wish...

1406080491_step3.thumb.png.dcb6e741f964e6809a0a22577918b2ba.png

202966783_Steplast.thumb.jpg.2612ed258df7bc0091375ac59b4de148.jpg

Thanks also to Chopsaw and Michael - all useful suggestions.  Gives me something to work with.
This is what I got  - works well, but next challenge is to create a conical curve....I'll give Erics method a go.

I really appreciate your time.

Roof-Michael's method-model.jpg

Roof-Michael's method-plan.jpg

46 minutes ago, solver said:

Here is an alternate method.

The key to the polyline subtraction method or union as Michael suggested that will work best for this situation is the conversion of the arcs to polylines and that also gives you the opportunity to set the number of sides or facets you would like.

11 minutes ago, KingsOwn said:

next challenge is to create a conical curve..

Do you have an illustration of that ?

16 minutes ago, KingsOwn said:

This is what I got using Eric's suggested method - now got conical curve.

By the by - does anyone else get this happening where the rafter material defaults to the roofing material?

I think that can be done effectively using Michael method.  The rafter material is likely not the issue but rather all kinds of fascia being generated.  I think you are going to run into lots of framing issues doing it that way.

It seems that there are 2 entirely different things being discussed here and they require very different approaches:

1.  Simply adjusting the shape of a single roof plane in plan view to get a curved edge.

2.  Building a roof with a complex segmented/truncated cone shape.

I think it’s important to clarify what the real goal is.  

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

I think that can be done effectively using Michael method.  The rafter material is likely not the issue but rather all kinds of fascial being generated.  I think you are going to run into lots of framing issues doing it that way.

The problem as I am interpreting it, is that Michael's method produces a roof with only one plane - or have I missed something?  Oh - and I'll check the fascia materials.

43 minutes ago, KingsOwn said:

The problem as I am interpreting it, is that Michael's method produces a roof with only one plane...

“Michael’s method” was very specifically in response to...

4 hours ago, KingsOwn said:

...curved in plan...

edges of roof planes cannot be converted to arcs...

...suggestion for forming the body, or solid form of the roof...

...Floor plan is attached, to show the general shape that I am talking about...

You mentioned “conical” once but I wasn’t sure what it was in reference to as your entire post, it’s title, and your screenshot seemed specifically aimed at plan view shape.  If you were talking about a wraparound 3D curve shape that’s an entirely different thing and you’ll need to use multiple planes similar to what Eric showed.  Like I said, there are 2 entirely different things being discussed in this thread.  You’ll need to clarify which one you’re after.  

For the wraparound 3D curve, not only will you need multiple planes, but they’ll need to be drawn very precisely (both with regard to shape and distribution) and appropriately joined to avoid all the little errors that would result otherwise.

18 hours ago, KingsOwn said:

By the by - does anyone else get this happening where the rafter material defaults to the roofing material?

Chief Automatically changes the Framing material to the Fascia Material if you have no Soffit Spec'd on the Roof Plane's DBX

as it assumes you want an Exposed Rafter Tail.

KB

24 minutes ago, KingsOwn said:

Hi KB

Thank you!!  That makes perfect sense.

No problem :) , though I am not sure why Chief didn't Create an Auto Curved Roof Plane for you as it appears you have Curved Walls......

unless you had gone Manual and couldn't go back , in that case , you can sometime make a copy of the plan ,

let auto roof make the roof plane and the copy it back into the original plan.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03019/understanding-curved-walls-and-roofs.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1508/roofs-over-curved-walls.html?playlist=95