side mount garage door motor?

ACADuser

We've used them whenever we don't have the headroom for a standard belt drive.  The operation is a little different because there is some lag time when opening and closing due to the door lock needing to engage and disengage.  Because of the locking operation, unfamiliar users may think something isn't working and interrupt the operation with multiple button pushes.

Also, you have to make sure to remember and plan your outlet and any roughed-in sensor/control wires accordingly. 

3 minutes ago, javatom said:

Make sure the electrician knows about this.  The outlet for the motor goes in that area not the usual spot on the ceiling.

Still a good idea to have the ceiling outlet as that is the best place for the light usually.

I have 3 projects with the Liftmaster side mount openers...one project is a pole structure with 12' x 12' OH doors. This application required a tensioner kit (spring loaded pushrod) to take up slack at the beginning of the close operation. This is caused by the inertia generated as the larger doors begin to move horizontally and then down...it works perfectly...no issues since installing... the door supplier/installer knew immediately the problem and the solution...

Other applications are standard 8' x 16' doors with minimal headroom...these openers also work as intended...

Regards

Rick

• 7 months later...
On 7/1/2021 at 6:22 PM, javatom said:

Make sure the electrician knows about this.  The outlet for the motor goes in that area not the usual spot on the ceiling.

On 7/1/2021 at 6:27 PM, Chopsaw said:

Still a good idea to have the ceiling outlet as that is the best place for the light usually.

For future searchers. 

I was looking for CA lib image for these "new" wall garage door openers for my project and stumbled in this thread.  Adding/repeating info with images.

FYI, I just built a soffit ‎7.5 x 7.9 x 21.5 in black metal rough. Then added a "Utilitarian Towel Bar" 120 x 3 x 4 at 100 high to the bottom. Image below.

I'm currently planning for a LiftMaster 8500 in our new home and making sure there is still:

1) an outlet in the ceiling for the light which I'm putting just past a fully opened garage door so it shines light even when open (advantage over old style openers).

2) an outlet near the wall mounted unit.  I'm putting two in and they both can go between the garage doors and share the same outlet. They are only ~1.7 amps with the light.

0bQM4k8[1].jpg

Liftmaster setup example.jpg

Liftmaster 8500 simulation in Chief Architect.jpg

you can also get a low headroom kit for overhead openers. I just built a garage with 10" headroom. i had both the wall mount and overhead quoted . overhead was $500 cheaper.

And you can see why, the overhead openers which go on sale all the time are $275 with wifi (chamberlain), but the wall mounts seem to be $700

• Like 1