What video card for X13?

ADallas

Go to solution Solved by ADallas,

I installed X13 just now, and it tells me that my integrated Intel graphics aren't good enough. (It was good enough for X12.) Specifically, all 3D views are turned off.

I'm on a Dell desktop, so I can install a graphics card. What would Chief and Chief Users recommend?

Dell Inspiron 3847 (Intel 4 Core i5-4460 @3.20GHz), 16GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 4600, 1GB RAM

On 7/1/2021 at 12:55 PM, ADallas said:

I installed X13 just now, and it tells me that my integrated Intel graphics aren't good enough. (It was good enough for X12.) Specifically, all 3D views are turned off.

I'm on a Dell desktop, so I can install a graphics card. What would Chief and Chief Users recommend?

due to the age of your current system I would consider a Prebuilt Desktop Computer with a 3000 Series Nvidia Graphics card ( most cost effective way to get a 3000 series RTX card currently)

If that isn't in the budget then a cheap 9/10 or 16 series Nvidia card maybe ok, to  get you 3D views at least but no PBR-RT or Clay cameras.

But do make sure it is using the latest Intel Drivers incase they do support X13?

M.

• Upvote 1

On 7/1/2021 at 12:55 PM, ADallas said:

I installed a basic Nvidia GeForce GT 710 and I get the same error. My current specs are:

Windows 10 64-bit

8 GB of RAM (16 GB, actually)

Video Card - Nvidia GeForce GT 710

2 GB of RAM

DirectX 12

If that looks familiar, it's from the CA web site: System Requirements | Chief Architect

3 hours ago, ADallas said:

I installed a basic Nvidia GeForce GT 710 and I get the same error. My current specs are:

Windows 10 64-bit

8 GB of RAM

Video Card

2 GB of RAM

DirectX 12

If that looks familiar, it's from the CA web site: System Requirements | Chief Architect

You are right on the bare minimum..... 4gb of ram would be better and 16 for the computer......

Per another post the card must Support DX12 - Shader Model 6.0 and my guess is the 710 does not

do Shader Level 6, ( see sys. reqs.)  the same as the other Poster's GTX660, he had a AMD Radeon

which did support it, so is good now.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/31220-x13-video-artifact/?do=findComment&comment=246330

M.

* on the Nvidia Side I think you may need to go to a 900 Series minimum to get Shader 6 and above.

So 900, 1000 or 1660 series on the budget end - or stay with X12 for now.....

I would suggest a look on your local CL or FB Marketplace for a 2nd hand card perhaps.....

25 minutes ago, ADallas said:

Windows 10 64-bit

8 GB of RAM (16 GB, actually)

Video Card - Nvidia GeForce GT 710

2 GB of RAM

DirectX 12

looks like the GT710 only has Shader model 5.1 

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gt-710.c2614

M.

• Solution

Problem solved. 

I started with Dell Inspiron 3847 (Intel 4 Core i5-4460 @3.20GHz), 16GB RAM. I refuse to consider that an antique.

I tried a number of graphics cards (thanks, Amazon return policy) and ended with

AMD RX 560D-4G D5 from Yeston. 4GB GDDR5 128bit Gaming Video Card, PCI Express 3.0 x 8, DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.5, Desktop Computer Low Profile GPU with VGA/DVI-D/HDMI Tri-Ports

$260 from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097P3YP4G/

The MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X Overclocked Graphics Card 12GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Dual-Fan Afterburner Overclocking Utility, at $950, was more intense than my computer.

CA X13 looks great. I'm sure serious ray tracing projects would go much faster with a "modern" workstation, but I'll stick with my Dell for now.

51MAmc1wyAS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

On 7/7/2021 at 12:59 AM, Kbird1 said:

New article on the KB on how to determine System Shader Model

download link to DX Viewer is in Article          ( use tools> PDF on right if you want a copy to keep of Articles.)

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03146/identifying-the-shader-model-of-your-graphics-card-in-windows.html

M.

Directx Caps Viewer also confirms ASUS GT710 2GB DDR5 is Shader Mode 6.5

DirectX_Caps_Viewer_Shader_Model_ GT710_2GB_DDR5.png

6 hours ago, Constructor said:

Directx Caps Viewer also confirms ASUS GT710 2GB DDR5 is Shader Mode 6.5

DirectX_Caps_Viewer_Shader_Model_ GT710_2GB_DDR5.png

You will need to talk to Tech. Support , as only they will know/have more details , please let every here know when you have more info as you are not the only one with the Issue.

Make sure you have the latest Nvidia Driver installed too if it is not already - 471.22

Mick.

Yes and No Rich    The 1660 will only give you X12 Cameras and none of the new features , basically you will have x12 cameras only without a 2000 or 3000 series Nvidia RTX graphics card.

I would not recommend Acer either ( that one is already a Refurb) look at Asus or MSI perhaps  and check out Memory Express but expect to spend closer to $2-2.5K

M.

There seems to be some confusion about whether or not you need to upgrade your computer and/or video card to run X13.  The short answer is that most people probably don't.

Does your computer system meet our minimum system requirements?

Some people may not be able to run X13 on an older computer or one using an older graphics card even though it could run X12 perfectly fine.  X13 has an entirely new rendering engine that was written from scratch that has different system requirements than X12 did.  So the first thing to do is determine whether or not your system meets our minimum system requirements.    If it does not meet them, then you will need to upgrade your system to run X13.  For more information about system requirements, please see this web page:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

Are your video card drivers up-to-date?  Is your video card configured correctly?

Some people may need to update their video card drivers to solve a wide range of problems they might run into while using X13.  This is because the new rendering engine is taking advantage of features on the video card that the older drivers may not support correctly.  If your system meets the minimum system requirements but it is having problems creating camera views, then you should try updating your video card drivers first.  If this does not solve your problems, you may need to verify that your video card is actually configured correctly.  For more information about solving video card problems, please see this tech article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

Do you want to take advantage of the new GPU ray tracing?

Some people may want to upgrade their video card to take advantage of the new GPU based ray tracing ability.  GPU ray tracing will allow you to create images that are much higher quality than you can get using Physically Based Rendering (PBR) but they are also much faster than using CPU based ray tracing.  If you are happy with the camera views that you were getting in X12, then a new video card is not really necessary.  Please note that CPU based ray tracing is still available and should work the same as it did in X12 and prior.  If you are interested in taking advantage of GPU ray tracing, then we recommend a Windows 10 computer with either an NVIDIA RTX or AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics card.  Please note that GPU ray tracing is currently not available for Mac systems.  For more information about purchasing a new computer and/or graphics card, please see this blog article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/blog/computer-for-design-and-gaming/

Please feel free to contact technical support if you have any questions or need more help:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Dermot said:

There seems to be some confusion about whether or not you need to upgrade your computer and/or video card to run X13.  The short answer is that most people probably don't.

Does your computer system meet our minimum system requirements?

Some people may not be able to run X13 on an older computer or one using an older graphics card even though it could run X12 perfectly fine.  X13 has an entirely new rendering engine that was written from scratch that has different system requirements than X12 did.  So the first thing to do is determine whether or not your system meets our minimum system requirements.    If it does not meet them, then you will need to upgrade your system to run X13.  For more information about system requirements, please see this web page:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

Are your video card drivers up-to-date?  Is your video card configured correctly?

Some people may need to update their video card drivers to solve a wide range of problems they might run into while using X13.  This is because the new rendering engine is taking advantage of features on the video card that the older drivers may not support correctly.  If your system meets the minimum system requirements but it is having problems creating camera views, then you should try updating your video card drivers first.  If this does not solve your problems, you may need to verify that your video card is actually configured correctly.  For more information about solving video card problems, please see this tech article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

Do you want to take advantage of the new GPU ray tracing?

Some people may want to upgrade their video card to take advantage of the new GPU based ray tracing ability.  GPU ray tracing will allow you to create images that are much higher quality than you can get using Physically Based Rendering (PBR) but they are also much faster than using CPU based ray tracing.  If you are happy with the camera views that you were getting in X12, then a new video card is not really necessary.  Please note that CPU based ray tracing is still available and should work the same as it did in X12 and prior.  If you are interested in taking advantage of GPU ray tracing, then we recommend a Windows 10 computer with either an NVIDIA RTX or AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics card.  Please note that GPU ray tracing is currently not available for Mac systems.  For more information about purchasing a new computer and/or graphics card, please see this blog article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/blog/computer-for-design-and-gaming/

Please feel free to contact technical support if you have any questions or need more help:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

this should be over on the Blog Post and Sys. Reqd. Pages Dermot....

Mick.

It is my understanding that the RTX video cards need a more robust power supply than the older graphics cards. According to the CA tech support person I spoke with and reviews of prebuilt systems using NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080, rendering caused the system to overhead or crash and the only fix was purchasing and installing an extra fan, which voided the warranty. It's hard to figure  just what is going to work based on what your older system has.

I got lucky and managed to swap out my old 1080ti GTX card for the 3060Ti RTX card, which took less power than my GTX did.

The only thing I was not aware of until I completed my install, is that the GPU ray tracing ONLY works in the Physically Based mode.

You can still do a classic ray trace, but it will use your CPU which is much slower.   

The PBR is very fast, as it seems to fill in the scene pixel by pixel versus the CPU version of setting the number of passes then watching the clock to see how long each pass is taking.

I would only ask for some indication of what the render scene is doing.  Seems the longer you leave it the better it can look, but it is subtle.

ASUS GT 710 Customer Service Feedback

The fact that DirectX12 is supported does not mean that this card supports all functions.
DirectX12 is nothing else then a name for a collection of programming interfaces that can vary as newer cards get more functionality.

The GT710 card is based on a chip released in 2014.
The DirectX12 feature level version used in the ASUS GT710 card is an outdated version.
This card is equipped with DirectX12, feature level 11.0 which offers support for Shader Model 5.1

In my opinion this is misleading product selling information by ASUS.

I bought the same AMD RX 560D-4G D5  graphics card from Yeston, via Amazon. I found the latest drive on the AMD site.  I have to say, it appears to be a great graphics card for the money.
Thanks for doing all the research!

Lane De Muro