Rotation in 3D

gelbuilding

I have a roof to build with i beams and fill with timber. It has a raked ceiling and i need to work out the steel work.

CA can handle the i beams in the structure though its very tedious in positioning the member exactly where they need to be.

See attached dwg,

The 3D view ok though in plan view the beams that on the hip run past the ridge, im baffled why this is in the plan view and not in the 3D view..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

post-190-0-81189600-1394451932_thumb.png

Were the I-beams made with molding p-lines on a horizontal plane and then "rotated" to the correct position? If so CA "reads" the molding p-line in plan view as if it is still in the horizontal position---thus the longer length. I don't know if I would call this a bug, but what I can remember about this it has always been this way. If you want to show the I-beam in plan view I would just show them in plan view by using cad lines. This is referred to as a "work around". As you work more with CA you will become quite familiar with this term. I hope this helps clarify things. Good luck.

you did not say whether you were using a molding line or a symbol. If you used a symbol the distortion is probably due to your distorting the bounding box and then not resetting the origin and 2D symbol. If you using moldings,then only the molding line shows in plan which will be different than the 3d view because of the depth of the profile and its vertical angle -- but this will be small normally for a 6-10" beam. Looks like your using symbols.

Post the plan for more help!.