Setting Structure/Floors

NeilofOZ

Have just finished transfering an existing house from clients hard copy plans into CA, completed a terrain plan and all good so far. 

Issue now is,  I need to add a Granny Flat onto the same site and as the floor levels are vastly different to the house these

values automatically alter the values on the existing residence, am I missing something here or do I have to build the Granny Flat

on a different plan and import it as a symbol. 

No problem doing both buildings in the one plan.

Draw the floor plan for the granny flat and change its floor level in relation to the existing house.

ie, I assume the existing house has a floor level of zero.

If the floor level of the granny flat is 3m less than that, make it's floor level -3000.

How did you change the floor level for the granny flat?

I am guessing you changed the default - which will change all the existing floor levels that use the default..

You could do that, but you would first have to change all the existing house floor levels to something other than the default.

Better to leave the existing as they are.  

7 hours ago, NeilofOZ said:

Have just finished transfering an existing house from clients hard copy plans into CA, completed a terrain plan and all good so far. 

Issue now is,  I need to add a Granny Flat onto the same site and as the floor levels are vastly different to the house these

values automatically alter the values on the existing residence, am I missing something here or do I have to build the Granny Flat

on a different plan and import it as a symbol. 

I NEVER EVER draw 2 buildings in the same plan file. There are plenty of reasons why I wouldn't. If I need to provide imaging of both together, I'll use a symbol of the simpler building or Chief's reference display.

9 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I NEVER EVER draw 2 buildings in the same plan file. There are plenty of reasons why I wouldn't. If I need to provide imaging of both together, I'll use a symbol of the simpler building or Chief's reference display.

I've successfully done multiple buildings in one plan many many times.  I tried the sybmol method once and was just frustrated by it.  Curious why you feel so adamant about not doing it?

12 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Curious why you feel so adamant about not doing it?

This applies to my general experiences...so generally speaking the 2nd building is a simpler building like a pool house or a detached garage, or a nanny suite.

1. Usually, due to the slope of the lot, the main floor of the accessory building is not at ZERO. This creates hassles.
  2. Usually the accessory building can almost be completely built using Chief's auto tools, which are turned off in the main plan because of it's complexity.
  3. The client may be indecisive about the placement of the 2nd building relative to the first, or relative to the lot, which requires much more time to make those adjustments.
  4. I have many template files for accessory buildings which are completed plan sets and layout sets that, due to Chief's auto tools, often only require me to move 2 walls and alter a few settings to have a completed plan set in minutes.
  5. I never have an issue converting a building to a symbol. It works great.
  6. I don't like my jello salad touching the potatoes and gravy...ughh, gross!

I've also done it with both in the same plan, it's slower so it reduces my earnings.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, robdyck said:

This applies to my general experiences...so generally speaking the 2nd building is a simpler building like a pool house or a detached garage, or a nanny suite.

1. Usually, due to the slope of the lot, the main floor of the accessory building is not at ZERO. This creates hassles.
  2. Usually the accessory building can almost be completely built using Chief's auto tools, which are turned off in the main plan because of it's complexity.
  3. The client may be indecisive about the placement of the 2nd building relative to the first, or relative to the lot, which requires much more time to make those adjustments.
  4. I have many template files for accessory buildings which are completed plan sets and layout sets that, due to Chief's auto tools, often only require me to move 2 walls and alter a few settings to have a completed plan set in minutes.
  5. I never have an issue converting a building to a symbol. It works great.
  6. I don't like my jello salad touching the potatoes and gravy...ughh, gross!

Thanks for elucidating Rob... fair enough...I can't disagree with any of your reasoning, especially #6....  but I try not to design anything akin to jello salad... that is pretty gross.  I think of it more as the gravy on my meat is also on the mashed potatoes, and all is good.  :P

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Thanks for elucidating Rob... fair enough...I can't disagree with any of your reasoning, especially #6....  but I try not to design anything akin to jello salad... that is pretty gross.  I think of it more as the gravy on my meat is also on the mashed potatoes, and all is good.  :P

I make a mean jello salad

Gross Old Fashioned Recipes Your Grandma Probably Madeimage.jpeg.84436d8a673782df8bb042f9ec5cb5c0.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NeilofOZ said:

Think I'll go down the Symbol method, I have done something similar a couple of years ago with a boat shed. 

You may already know this, but when creating a symbol of the secondary building, it can be helpful to create a layer set that removes the display of as many items as possible, like cabinets, interior doors, moldings, framing, etc. 

In the image below, all the buildings and the terrain (separate for each building)  are symbols.

52306392_Untitled3.thumb.jpg.bf448f752108bf3ac6728fd0b3885bc4.jpg