Style Palette

stephenbc

41 minutes ago, stephenbc said:

Is there a list of all objects one can use in a style palette?  I don't see the style palette option when a material region is selected in X13 beta. 

If there's no Style Palette Option then it can not be used in a Style and I think the list of objects that can be used is just long enough to give the impression the tool might actually be useful but it is a long running Chief tradition to almost finish a feature then leave it in that unfinished state never to be revisited or 'fixed'. I used the feature once then reported that the partitions (cabinet drop down) that are used in almost every kitchen are not part of the objects that can be specified for a style palette. Tried to make it work but gave up as the effort was more than the 'Style Palette' saved and have never used the feature again.

Maybe you'll have better luck but for me the Style Palette joins a fairly long list of features that had so much potential but ultimately abandoned by Chief after their introduction before they could reach that potential. And yes, I am not happy that Chief spends so much effort introducing half finished 'time saving' features only to find they save no time at all. Again you may have better luck but I could never get the feature to be truly useful.

Never really understood the mentality about introducing a feature then never really polishing up to its potential but the Chief guys seem to think it's OK but it is, after all, their software.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

You can't add a generic material region to a style palette but you can add a custom backsplash.

The list of object types you can add does appear in the style palette specification dialog.  See picture below.  As you add things to the palette, they are removed from the Add Object list.

As far as adding cabinet partitions to the style palette is concerned, this is currently on our todo list but is just not something we have had a chance to get to yet.  Personally, I think we have far more important things on our todo list but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

If there are other things that you would like to see added to the style palette or other ways that you think these tools can be improved, then please feel free to submit a feature request:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/8-suggestions/

style palette.png

• Upvote 2

Yeah I figured that post might have ruffled a feather or two and even garner a couple of those delicious down votes but most likely from those who don't know me nor understand why I would post what I did. I've been using Chief for over 20 years and absolutely love the software as it's provided a living for myself for those 20 years and it just keeps getting better and better. I've been to Coeur D'alene to Chief headquarters and had dinner with the development team. There isn't a better group of men and women and have had nothing but a great experience with everyone involved. But (you saw the but coming) there is a corporate mentality or paradigm that allows for new features to be introduced, sometimes finished sometimes not, then abandoned, never to be improved or polished to their best potential. Never understood that methodology.

Another great example in my world at least is the reference layer set feature. Outstanding to say the least but within that outstanding feature is the glass house rendering ref set. Simply doesn't work in real life and just sits there, unfinished. Just think of the potential that feature could have. Add a couple of rendering technique options like line drawing, give it some more flexibility as to how the ref sets layer interact with different rendering techniques and that feature sings. Or wait for feedback and have a team that focuses on finishing and improving each newly introduced feature but "there are far more important things on our todo list." I get it. How long has kitchen partitions been on the todo list? Really makes my point.

I also understand completely what becomes a priority within any software development environment and features that are not 'finished' (my term) are very low on that list. Again understood and give much credit to the team for the work they do but what I am suggesting is not intended as a dig against the company but is instead intended to make Chief better software.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the response, Dermot.  It certainly would be good to bolster the functionality of style palettes to include more objects.  After all, it helps the client decide quite quickly on what they like, what works for them, and what doesn't.  In this particular instance I was trying to use style palettes to show many bathroom styles and I use material regions for bathroom wall finishes, wainscoting, etc.

I hear you Larry...I worked for a software company for 14 years.  Being on that side of the customer/client line I know first hand of the juggling act product managers have vis a vis budget and time.  There is also a huge issue when dealing with legacy code that sometimes makes the simplest of additions cause months of re-writing inherently connected routines.  Good product managers are hard to come by, but they can be worth their weight in gold if they can design systems efficiently.

I understand all the (childish IMO) down votes but just think how awesome the Style Palette could be if given more effort and energy. A modern interface with its own menu options instead of being hidden in the library with a fairly awkward interface. More options and capabilities could make it the go to feature for kitchen and bath design. I would use it on almost every design. Of course it would take more resources and the ROI might not be immediately evident, or non-existent, but the feature would be fully fleshed out and eminently more useful. Not an easy decision for the Chief development folks but I think if there were fewer, fully complete features it would simply, again, make Chief better software.

• Like 2