Photoshop Cs2 For Free

Gawdzira

Not as free as it looks, eh?  Use Paint.NET if you're after quality freeware with some Photoshop like features and extensive filetype and plug-in libraries.

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

GIMP is GIMP (Not to be confused with The Gimp, which was a pathetic masochist character in the film Pulp Fiction), very Linux focused software.  They haven't certified a release on Windows since XP, although they've regularly released to the platform.

PSP (the paid version from Corel) is the best of the Photoshop wannabes.  The ancient JASC version needs to be banished to the place outdated, unstable software goes.

Adobe Photoshop.  The gold standard of raster editors and image manipulation/creation.  "It's just like Photoshop."  Ha!  Not likely.  There are a gazillion free training resources.  Get a current license.  Don't let Adobe catch you doing commercial work on a pirated version, or your soul and that of your family (not to mention 3X your gross income from the time you installed such software) will be theirs.  They're meaner bulldogs than Getty when enforcing their IP rights.  C'mon--$10 bucks a month.  Y'all can't get a $120 per year value-add from quality images?  Really?

jon

• 4 weeks later...

I use a recent version of PSP.  It does what I need it to do for my work, and as an amateur photographer.  I like the 64 bit version..  I've tried GIMP, but it's not a particularly easy interface.

Photoshop is like autocad in that it is the dominant program of its type on the market and carries a premium price.  However the subscription service for Adobe Creative Suite is quite reasonably priced, and I have found that tempting.  On another note I'm finding the subscription service for Microsoft Office very temping as well. 

"Jasc" is derived from the acronym, J.A.S.C. (Just Another Software Company). Founder Robert Voit needed a name to protect his assets legally, but at the time had not decided to make a go of the company so he came up with a tongue-in-cheek name. Later when the company took off, he realized that was not the best connotation for a company to have so he publicly "changed" the acronym to (Jets and Software Company) because he was a commercial airline pilot prior to starting the software company.