Problem Moving Dimensions to Cross Section Lines

LightHouse_Doug

Go to solution Solved by DzinEye,

Hello, 

I'm having an issue with dimensioning in a back-clipped section with the point to point dimension tool (or any tool). My dimensions will only snap to certain lines in the section. For example, they will snap to the finish floor, but not the subfloor or the bottom of the joist. I have attached the plan, and I have saved Cross Section 4 as an example where I can snap to the finish floor but not the subfloor. I have tried adjusting the reach of the dimension tool which does not seem to make a difference. Thanks for any suggestions. 

Dimensioning Test.zip

• Solution
56 minutes ago, LightHouse_Doug said:

I'm having an issue with dimensioning in a back-clipped section with the point to point dimension tool (or any tool).

Long-standing issue getting snaps to objects in elevation and section.  
Use Cad Detail from view... do your Point to point dimension there, then cut and paste it into your section... Or just use the cad detail if you don't need a live section

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DzinEye said:

Long-standing issue getting snaps to objects in elevation and section.  
Use Cad Detail from view... do your Point to point dimension there, then cut and paste it into your section... Or just use the cad detail if you don't need a live section

Thanks, Mark. We are trying to move from away from CAD details to taking all elevations and sections from the model, but that is a useful workaround. However, there is no way to paste and hold position from the CAD detail to the live elevation, is there? It seems very time consuming to have to reposition all of the dimension lines when pasting them back. 

15 hours ago, richoffan said:

Or where you're trying to pull the dimension draw a cad line. They'll snap to the section lines. The dimension will snap to the cad lines. If you make changes to the model you can move the line by the connected dimension

I do this often, but I never understood why the snap would work for the line but not for the dimension. Frustrating for sure.