Material List and Kitchen Schedule

IvanCyr

I likely have an advanced question for folks who like to jump into the deeper functions of Chief.  I am working with a client to automate his pricing for kitchens.  I have almost all the items figured out.  However, I'm currently wondering how to "fix" the following:

I'm noticing that the cabinet schedule callouts are NOT equivalent to the C#'s found in the materials list.  I would need to find a solution to do one of two things:

1. Automatically duplicate the cabinet schedule values (C1, C2, C3...etc) into the same values created in the materials list; or

2. Create a macro that presents the value in the cabinet schedule above AND be able to "present" in on a line in the material's list.

Regarding #2 above, I've been able to create a macro...but how can I point back to it from the Materials list and add it in the Materials Master List.

Or perhaps there's another solution that I'm missing.

Any comments would be well received.

Thanks in advance.

25 minutes ago, IvanCyr said:

2. Create a macro that presents the value in the cabinet schedule above AND be able to "present" in on a line in the material's list.

You can put %schedule_number% in either the comment or code field of the cabinet.

image.thumb.png.9c0a5fc42887fe85362c673cbc46b020.png

The other way at it is to put the formula that gets the price into a custom OIP field. Best of luck with it, that's been the Holy Grail for a while now. I've taken several shots at it and got "almost'. I stuck to working in with schedule instead of ML. Best I got was a way to export the schedule. Was very close then I don't really need it so ends up on the back burner and none of my clients came up with price files needed. (guess they don't really need it either)

Hey Mark...well, that was too easy.  I suppose I was thinking that I could add a designated column somehow to the M. List.  Sometimes one thinks too hard on this stuff!

Ok...thanks so much.

9 hours ago, IvanCyr said:

I suppose I was thinking that I could add a designated column somehow to the M. List.

There are lots of materials list and schedule features you could probably be taking advantage of, but for starters, you can actually rename/repurpose any given column in the schedule by opening the Materials List Specification dialog, clicking on the Columns panel and then triple clicking on the column you would like to rename.  In this example, I relabeled the ID column for clarification, repurposed the Sub Category column, and placed the schedule number macro in the Default Cabinet Components information.  Maybe that will get you started down a path to more robust automation.  If you need some more in depth help though, fell free to shoot me over an email and we can discuss further.  

995253688_Step1.thumb.png.734490568e268a1a622b26bc790532da.png1401638030_step2.thumb.png.112bd90496b0e8fd46a366820055ce40.png

Hey Michael....ah...the triple click!  Thx for the screen shots.  I would have been scratching my head for a while on that!  I was looking through the Chief "Help" menu for info on this but what you've presented must be somewhere else from where I was looking!  Curious, is your source of info on this within Chief...or outside of Chief 'proper'?

I definitely prefer your method and it helps me to better understand how to glean better and more thorough ruby coding back into the mat list.

So much appreciated!  Thanks!! :)

• 3 weeks later...