floor platform through the roof planes

jkonecny

1 hour ago, jkonecny said:

What is going on here?

It looks like the floor platform is going through roof planes where they join together. Can you post the plan? You probably should create some "attic" rooms on the 2nd floor, close to the edges of the roof.

4 minutes ago, jkonecny said:

I'd liek to post plan for some reason its over 20 mb though. Don't know why so large.

Yes, I just asked about this the other day. I deleted all my fixtures and furniture on a plan file and still couldn't get the file size low enough to upload.

3 hours ago, solver said:

Take a cross section and see how the 2nd floor, floor structure relates to the walls and roof.

image.thumb.png.70656bcff6e9de826e1ea6873b017587.png

Hard to tell anything out of place, because how the roof valleys in on both sides. And that seems where the issue is. 

Looking at your picture, that floor platform will have to go all the way out to the lower stud wall plates. You can see the corners sticking thru your roof line. Bonus room spaces over garages usually have to have the rafters framed on top of the 2nd floor floor platform. Yours does not; that creates what you are seeing - the 2nd floor platform.

6 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Looking at your picture, that floor platform will have to go all the way out to the lower stud wall plates. You can see the corners sticking thru your roof line. Bonus room spaces over garages usually have to have the rafters framed on top of the 2nd floor floor platform. Yours does not; that creates what you are seeing - the 2nd floor platform.

So basically, raise the roof baseline to account for the 16" i have for the 2nd floor platform level..? I usually use 16" web truss on bonus rooms over the garage and normally sit my baseline to that level, however it doesn't (technically) have to be done that way, particularly on a 12/12 roof. I can't raise the ridge height much without going over the ridge on the roof perpendicular roof.  So i'll probably raise baseline, and lower pitch to a 10/12 and see what that does for me. Think that will work?

2 hours ago, jkonecny said:

So basically, raise the roof baseline to account for the 16" i have for the 2nd floor platform level..?

Or, what I do when I have the headroom in the garage, I lower the wall plates (usually the 16") and keep the baseline the same; keeps the fascia heights the same for the house. I sometimes will lower the plates 17.5" and spec the wall top plate to extend over the tops of the I-joists (what I use the most). I think that ties together the walls to the main house and the garage better, but not a deal breaker.