Save Plan As Template Behavior

HumbleChief

Never understood this behavior. I make a couple changes to my template plan and want to overwrite the existing template. Select File>Templates>Save as Template. Uncheck the delete all check box, check the Set Template as Default for Imperial Plans, click OK and Chief creates a new untitled plan. Why? Same behavior in X13.

Just now, GeneDavis said:

Did your template plan get updated?

Yeah it works great to update the template plan and both plans are identical as is expected since the new template is based on the changes to the existing template but there's another plan created. Curious and might be missing something. 

2 minutes ago, solver said:

This is one of many little things that have always bugged me. Should be a preference setting to toggle this behavior.

Make a suggestion :)

"...many little things that have always bugged me." Yeah same here. May make time for a suggestion, and yes am willing to live with the behavior instead of dealing with the (for me) uber frustrating suggestion forum. Thanks Eric

I suspect that the "new" plan is using the new template definition - but the older plan is using the prior template.  If both templates are the same then it probably doesn't matter.  However, if anything was changed - which I think would be the case - then you might want to use the new plan.

Since the programmers don't know which we might want ......:unsure:

12 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I suspect that the "new" plan is using the new template definition - but the older plan is using the prior template.  If both templates are the same then it probably doesn't matter.  However, if anything was changed - which I think would be the case - then you might want to use the new plan.

Since the programmers don't know which we might want ......:unsure:

Could be, but I would rather there not be new plan opened without some explanation, obvious reason, or my expressed request. In the example both plans are identical as that's the nature of a new template created from an existing plan but the programmer sometimes have a reason that I often miss and perhaps you're correct in your assumption and I'll live with that for now. Thanks

i wondered the same thing and the for first couple times, I then saved the new untitled file as a template again, as I thought maybe it was showing me what it would look like

The title is Save as template. If CA is going to create a new plan, the title should be "Save as template & create new plan"

of course everyone would be asking for where is the "save as template", but a t least there would be less confusion over the actual function.

This is the $5 solution

• Like 1