Roof outline in Plot Plan view

Elliot

I am having trouble with showing just the roof in the plot plan view. When I create the terrain perimeter as I start the plot plan, Chief puts the terrain on floor 1.  But it is showing the interior and exterior walls on floor one.  I have the plot plan layer set on.  And if i turn on the roof plane layer, then only the first floor roof planes show up as a dotted line. there are sections of the house where the roof is only on floor one and some sections with the roof on floor 2.  What I want is just to see the roof from above on the plot plan, the entire roof with all roof planes with a nice bold line. And I don't want to see any walls or interior features.  What am I missing? 

thanks

Yes I can turn off layers. But I cannot get all the roof planes to show up when i am in plot plan view which is  locked to the first floor of the plan. Turning on the roof planes layer works and I can of course change the line style but it will not display both the first floor and second floor roofs.  

Along with Eric's excellent (as usual) advice there's also a roof control to "Display on Floor Above" and "Display on Floor Below". Might help with your desired result.

EIDT: You could also put the first floor roofs and the second floor roofs on different Layers, which complicates things a bit but gives you more flexibility.

Don't know if you are using Saved Plan Views or not, but they will save you a ton of time for these types of situations. Set up a new Saved Plan View, make all of the layerset changes you want (I usually copy another layerset first that is the closest to what I want) and that will be available from now on with a click of the mouse. I have them set up in my various template plans so they are available for all new plans.

3 hours ago, Elliot said:

That is what I needed. Display on floor below solved the problem. and I turned off all layers I did not want to see. thanks

that method has its own issues.  I recommend showing roof planes via ref sets.

starting with x13 when CA fixed the ref sets.  They have become more and more powerful.  If you don’t think they are powerful,  you do not understand them.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mike and DSHall and Eric and Larry. I appreciate more input. I've only been using Chief for about a year and a half, so definitely learning every time I open the program.  I can't wait for X13 to be released.  I know the public Beta is out but I am uncertain about using it yet. Maybe I will wait for the full release.  I will study ref sets and Saved Plan views and continue to learn.  

11 hours ago, dshall said:

starting with x13 when CA fixed the ref sets.  They have become more and more powerful.  If you don’t think they are powerful,  you do not understand them.

Good advice as well and ref sets are indeed powerful (even though I don't completely understand them) and am wondering what has changed in X13? I have X13 but don't see any visible changes in ref sets. Is there a Reader's Digest short version of the 'fixes'?

Sorry,  I misspoke.....  I meant X3 (not. X13)

Before X3 you could only have 1 ref set. Only one ref set with all plan views.  You had to use the same exact ref set for any plan view.

With X3 you could have a different ref set with every plan view.

With this release (or was it the prior release) a plan view can have multiple ref sets including a ref set from a different plan.  

Multiple ref sets are powerful in that we can now have some layers with DETAILS ON and some layers with DETAILS OFF....  (DETAILS ON means the FILLS will show). 

(remember the MRLS & the MMRLS?)

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, dshall said:

Sorry,  I misspoke.....  I meant X3 (not. X13)

Before X3 you could only have 1 ref set. Only one ref set with all plan views.  You had to use the same exact ref set for any plan view.

With X3 you could have a different ref set with every plan view.

With this release (or was it the prior release) a plan view can have multiple ref sets including a ref set from a different plan.  

Multiple ref sets are powerful in that we can now have some layers with DETAILS ON and some layers with DETAILS OFF....  (DETAILS ON means the FILLS will show). 

(remember the MRLS & the MMRLS?)

Thanks Scott, appreciate you taking the time to reply and hopefully the OP got the plot plan view he was looking for.