Camera & Orthographic Views Goes Black and Flickers

gmdesigns45

I am working in CA Interiors X13 on new Surface Book 3 that I have had for about 1 month and upgraded to X13 on 6/8/21 and it has been working fine.

My old Surface had the latest Nvidia RTX video card. My new one came with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 with Max Q Design. Is has seemed fine, but maybe X13 has something to do with it. Maybe I need to get the latest RTX?

I have not submitted a support ticket yet; trying this first.

Everything has been fine until an hour ago. Now when I go from plan to a Camera or Orthographic view, the view shows up fine, but as soon as I scroll or move my mouse anywhere the screen goes black and then flickers on and off. I cannot get a screen shot of it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

I have the Surfacebook 3 as well.  I was having the same issue.  The computer seems to drop the connection to the NVidia card.  You can reconnect it by going to Device Manager and 'scan for hardware changes' and it will find the card.  You'll need to close and restart Chief for the software to use the NVidia card.  

The Surfacebook will disconnect the NVidia card when you remove the screen for table mode. I don't use tablet mode much so I don't know why it keeps disconnecting.  You could force the reconnection by removing and reattaching the screen too.  I suspect the hinge/tablet interface is the problem; not a tight connection or doesn't support the weight.  

In working with Chief during Beta, the Chief folks don't seem to have the same issue with their Surfacebook. I have the 15" screen, maybe that's the difference.

Thank you for the information and how to reconnect it. I may try to update the Nvidia Card.

I have the 13.5" screen and like you, seldom use tablet mode. I was just working on a drawing this morning to see if was still there and it worked fine for about 30 minutes and then started again.

Try setting Chief up in the NV Control Panel > Manage 3D> make the Nvidia the Preferred Card for Chief, Mark has some more tips in this thread from the other day too...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/31016-nvidia-gtx-1070-and-realtime-raytracing-in-x13/?do=findComment&comment=244719

more info here too: 

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/29075-making-chief-use-your-nvidia-graphics-card-if-needed/?tab=comments#comment-231766

The 1650 won't be able to use the new RT-PBR Views though , they are only supported on the 2000 Series and Up ( 3000 best) in X13 apparently

KB 

Wind 10 now has it's own setting -Graphic Settings. Need to se the card there as well in Nvidia control panel (at least I set both and have no issues- but my understanding is that must use the windows setting)

image.thumb.png.f5f97625c28c465f660b327af9ac23c4.png

Thanks for all the information.

A few questions -

Can't read some of the screenshots in the Nvidia Control Panel directions.

1 - In Open GL Rendering GPU - is it the GeForce info?

2 - In the Power Management - is it Prefer Consistent Performance?

In the Windows Graphics Settings -

Which performance option should be used for the CA or Ray Tracing? Windows Decide, Power Saving or High Performance?

Thanks again,

1 hour ago, gmdesigns45 said:

1 Select Nvidia Geoforce

2-Maximum Performance

Windows-High Performance

1 hour ago, gmdesigns45 said:

Thanks for all the information.

A few questions -

Which performance option should be used for the CA or Ray Tracing? Windows Decide, Power Saving or High Performance?

Thanks again,

NVCP OpenGL = should be on Nvidia Geforce Card   if on laptop you might have an option to make it the prefer Card too if the Laptop use Optimus. 

NVCP Power = is best on MAX Performance but you may find the Battery dies much more quickly ...

1277934775_LaptopNvidia3Dmanage2.thumb.PNG.43e80e0e0444000423b475f59cd44732.PNG

WGS should be on high Performance

For others: 

WGS: Settings>Display>Scroll down>Graphics settings> if you need to broese out to C:\Program Files\Chief Architect\Chief Architect Premier X12 (64 bit) ( or X13) select the Chief .exe file and ok then Options.....

image.png