Houzz 3D: does it put our renders and walkthroughs and 3D viewer work to shame?

GeneDavis

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I can see a lot of homeowners wanting to use that for the ease of use and that measuring tool was pretty cool!

...and most homeowners will find that there's no real 'ease of use' and perhaps that pretty cool measuring tool is actually pretty cool but perhaps it's only pretty cool after you remove all the furniture in your house? And how many here have had homeowners use these types tools only to create the worst designs you have ever seen?

Oh and last but not least, does anyone remember Chief's super easy to use and 'fun' Room Planner? Nuff said.

17 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

...and most homeowners will find that there's no real 'ease of use' and perhaps that pretty cool measuring tool is actually pretty cool but perhaps it's only pretty cool after you remove all the furniture in your house? And how many here have had homeowners use these types tools only to create the worst designs you have ever seen?

Oh and last but not least, does anyone remember Chief's super easy to use and 'fun' Room Planner? Nuff said.

Hi Larry, I wasnt saying Chief wasnt as good or people should use that instead just saying it had some neat features. 

I think people who dont have good design sense, no matter what software they use, it wont help them gain good design abilities.  That being said, Ive seen brilliant designers who have successful careers that didnt go to design schools and then people who have gone to ivy league arch schools and have little passion and a dismal career.

6 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Hi Larry, I wasn't saying Chief wasn't as good or people should use that instead just saying it had some neat features.

OK, but I'm saying it does not have some 'neat features' and the tag line which is always the same no matter the newest software or app "It's that easy" or better yet "Fun and easy" and as Chief found out with its (very similar features) fun and easy 'Room Planner' that it just didn't work in a real world situation and they discontinued it. I tried to like it but after just a couple minutes I could see it wasn't a great real world app for any kind of design. I'd suggest that if it's sold as 'easy' it probably isn't but only one way to find out, download it and see how it works. See if a room can be measured with actual furniture in the room using that particular 'neat feature'. See how 'easy' a real world design can be created, both good or bad by qualified professional or great/poor homeowner designer. Been there done that and perhaps I'll wish them luck and would love to be wrong. Give it a try and let us know how those neat feature work in real life.   

I thought some of the features were neat because anyone could make quick adjustments to their "idea design" like edge molding on their countertop and a few other quick visuals for people.  Sometimes customers just need visuals to get clarification on what they want or what something may look like, they dont necessarily want to become architects and need to buy revit before calling in professional design experts.  I think simple solutions that can help teach customers what an eased edge versus an ogee edge molding looks like is a good thing.  Would that be the next program to beat Revit probably not.  Im sticking with it and if you want to continue trying to discount my opinion we can go round and round all week Larry.... I have lots of energy. :)

Everyone has an opinion on this forum and no one should be hassled because of one simple remark. Its clear you dont like the software and the great thing is you dont need to buy it.

Larry, Im not wanting to try the software nor buy it.  I simply stated it had a few cool features, thats it. I can like a products features or benefits without needing to buy or try it. Im happy with Chief.