How would I draw this besides a polyline solid?

Hi all

I'm wanting to know if structures can be shown in CA framed without being walls.

I'm trying to detail the framing/construction method for a protruding structure that I've shown as a polyline solid in a design I'm doing.  It's essentially a boxed out structure that runs the length of a building as shown below and will protrude approx 2 1/2 ft from the face of most of the structure, and sits over large span openings.

Can anyone point me to a method where I can show this as framing other than just doing a CAD detail?

Thank you

Untitled.jpg

You could probably get something to auto-frame by using ceiling planes and a pony wall with invisible/room divider type wall below.

Sounds like you don't like CAD details for some reason?... are you wanting a 3D detail?   You can always put in framing manually... it's pretty repetitive for that example so wouldn't be too much work.

1 hour ago, John_Charles said:

Hi all

I'm wanting to know if structures can be shown in CA framed without being walls.

I'm trying to detail the framing/construction method for a protruding structure that I've shown as a polyline solid in a design I'm doing.  It's essentially a boxed out structure that runs the length of a building as shown below and will protrude approx 2 1/2 ft from the face of most of the structure, and sits over large span openings.

Can anyone point me to a method where I can show this as framing other than just doing a CAD detail?

Thank you

Untitled.jpg

Kind of looks like 2 rooms with a flat roof and a raised floor on one of them...

2 hours ago, John_Charles said:

Can anyone point me to a method

Another way would be create a 2nd floor at the height you want the bottom of the soffit, then make the 2nd floor room the rest of the height you want for the main room and make it 'open below' room type.  Give the soffit 'room' a 'shelf ceiling' at the height you want the top of the soffit.  

Hi and thanks for the responses.  I wanted to do it with framing if possible so that it would show while I am doing the framing of the rest of the structure ie it is visible and resolved.

No issue with doing CAD detail as have done plenty but as I said above, wanted it to be integrated into the rest of the structure.

Thanks

John, Create a wall assembly (Wall definitions) with two or more framing layers to get the right depth, the inside (facing the e wall) should have no material, the outside should have the x material or your choice.

Draw the wall next to the existing wall, put a break where it changes height, take a clipped camera view, grab the wall that you need the soffit on from the bottom and drag up to the desired height and frame it. 

If you need horizontal framing, use a roof plane (adjust its elevation so it is flush with the wall), strip it down to just the rafters and place it in between the wall framing (top and bottom), add sub fascia as needed to create the ends of the framing.

Review and adjust the assembly or the framing as needed. Good luck! 

Just takes a few minutes...and some patience. See attached...

For the wall that has no bottom I used a pony wall...the bottom section is the "room divider" wall type. I made the "room" open below. I did use a solid for the ceiling surface. 

2021-06-18_15-04-19.thumb.png.58dc1639bbb27271f31ef03d45c66137.png

2021-06-18_15-14-02.thumb.png.0c53ef58439898d3a727c4d27a4d7ff0.png