Eve Closure At Exterior Barrel Soffit

Evolution

Go to solution Solved by CJSpud,

I need to close the eve of the screened porch both at its exposed end, and at what would be the intersection between the main roof over-hang and the barrel ceiling.

I can take the time to do a lot of experimental things, but thought maybe someone on the forum had already past the test on this one!

I thought maybe doing invisible walls and add door opening with a barrel radius at the top. I know you can't place an opening in an invisible wall, but if you do normal wall, insert opening, then open the wall dbx and make it invisible the open will remain. I think that's correct. I still have to model the screened openings too, so that all might be best done with walls/invisible walls? Did I answer my own question?

post-1662-0-52792700-1418234092_thumb.jpg

• Solution

Bob:

There are two strategies (at least that I can think of at the moment) that I use for your situation:

1.  Make the porch gable wall with a polyline solid.

2.  Sometimes I will just use a wall with a doorway in it.  Going this route is nice because the attic galble wall will generate OK and you can arch the top of the doorway as desired.  The limitations of this method are the columns, unless you get creative and come up with other solutions.

Did you use railing side walls with the post to beam option?  If not, this is a simple and quick way to get your posts and beams in place and you can resize them as needed in the dbx.

You can use the custom ceiling plane and curved roof tools to create the curved ceiling.  I find getting those curve settings right a little bit trial and error since I don't use them that often.  Of course you can create the curved ceiling surfaces with PL solids or even a molding PL if desired.

There might even be some techniques that can be used that no one has thought of yet.  My example below shows a PL solid for the gable wall while I used curved ceiling planes over the porch with a 4:12 pitch while the roof planes are all 8:12.

post-191-0-65025900-1418266614_thumb.jpg

Good luck.

CJ-thanks for the advice. I didn't have any problem building the "barrel" ceiling, I did use the railing tool to build the exterior perimeter of the screened porch, and was in the process of working out the details for the screened sections when I received NEW direction from the client requesting the bath/master bed suite be reversed THUS doing away with the screened porch.

So in essence it changes that entire end of the house (and the roof line will be altered again) that being said will now create for me another call for help when I get finished with the revisions a CRY for help with figuring out the roof line again which is fodder for later! 

Thanks again for your help!