X10 to X12 Upgrade Question

jkonecny

I'm well overdue to upgrade to x12 or x13. Is there any problems associated with upgrading to x12 and then working on files/plans that were created in x10? 

X12 seems worlds ahead of x10. I have Several projects ongoing now and I fear i would have issues if i were to upgrade mid project. 

There shouldn't be any problems.  I have several projects from up to 5 versions back.  Whenever I need to do additional work on one of those I just open it in the latest version, save it to my new version project folder and use that going forward.

• Like 1

Note: plans are NOT backward compatible 

once upgraded to a newer version that plan can't be opened in the older version

Chief makes an archive version of the older plan which can be opened in the older version

but its best to make your own backups too

Lew

• Like 1

Chief Architect plans and layouts often contain many references to other external files so it's necessary to copy all the associated files to a new location when a plan or layout is moved. A copy of your plan along with all of your textures and materials can be quickly and easily created by using the Backup Entire Plan/Project tool.

@lbutteryYes Plans are not backward compatible! Very important Point ! 

You can use the Backup Entire Plan Tool to make a copy the plan and all of the associated files in X10.

If you have a complete x10 back up saved you will have a version that you can go back and use if you have upgraded to X12 or X13  and develop or are concerned about any compatibility issues. You could reload X10 and that complete backup has you work saved for that version.

• Like 1

You can either continue to work on your X10 plans in X10 or migrate them into X12 (or X13) if you want to take advantage of the new features.  If you are migrating plans, using the Backup Entire Plan tool (as suggested by others) is a good way to create a backup of your old plan and make sure you don't lose any referenced files. 

You should not find any significant problems bringing your old plans forward, but the older they are the more likely it is that you might find some minor problems.  Please feel free to always report any problems you might find to our tech support team.

You may also want to review the "What's New" guides below:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x11-migration-guide.pdf

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x12-migration-guide.pdf

And if you are interested in X13 which is now available to beta test:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/whats-new/

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 10:02 AM, jkonecny said:

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Very helpful!

If you are going to do it?,  do it now, before X13 releases, or you will pay for a 3 version upgrade , not 2, X13 will come free as you'll have SSA with the X12 Upgrade.

KB

• Like 1