Computer power and recording walkthrough videos

GeneDavis

My system is old, but it's a gaming laptop and fast for its age.  I've a new one coming, i7 11th gen, 3070, 32 GB.  On the present setup, recording a video seems to take forever.

I am wondering what kind of improvement in speed I'll see with the new box.  A lot of you have upgraded getting ready for X13, so tell us what you've experienced.  

X12 or 13? Just tested a pretty basic one in 13- OOB settings, only 6 key frames on the desktop. Both standard and PBR with no RayTrace each took 2mins for a 26 second vid.

image.thumb.png.0f6e4b7f699d7caf935d89611adff877.png

With Ray Trace on would have looks like it would have taken about 1.5 hrs. Did nothing to any settings though.

9 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I've only X12 and my present system for a frame of reference.  X13 won't run any 3D at all on my setup.  No sections, elevations, or camera views.

So it looks to me like your present system exceeds the minimum requirements.   What am I missing ?

My existing system (see sig below) really crawls through walkthroughs I create.  What I am asking is whether I can expect better speed when I upgrade to the RECOMMENDED system for X13.  I'm getting that late this week, I hope.

I just recently purchased a new laptop with an RTX 3060 card.  Normal time for a render to settle in for me is about 3 to 4 seconds or less with a simple scene.

I have mostly been working with the Real Time Ray Tracing, but I would expect that you will be very happy when producing walkthroughs on your new system.

On 6/13/2021 at 1:31 PM, GeneDavis said:

My existing system (see sig below) really crawls through walkthroughs I create.  What I am asking is whether I can expect better speed when I upgrade to the RECOMMENDED system for X13.  I'm getting that late this week, I hope.

I can tell you Gene, that for me, recording a walkthrough simply wasn't an option on X12, using my older gaming PC. It just took more time than it was worth, financially.

X13s new features, plus a new gaming pc with my 3080 card has changed that. I still don't do it often, but its much faster and the preview feature makes it much more user friendly.

Gene

Hopefully you have your new computer by now, but I thought I would follow up with an image produced in X13 with RTRT and a RTX 3060 card in a laptop.

It took about 3 seconds for the image to settle in, but interior views with stainless steel and other reflective surfaces can take up to 10 seconds or more.  I think I can get used to that.  This does not directly answer your walkthrough question, but I would imagine that there would be some sort of relationship as far as the timeframe is concerned.

This image is from a current project that is still a work in progress so much is still unfinished.  Just thought you would like to see something from X13 RTRT.  Enjoy your new computer.

Angel RTRT Front View.jpg

Does it matter for the graphic rendering in X13 if the CPU is a Razen versus an Intel i7?  Most of the specs tout the Razen as blowing the intel cpu's out of the water for graphic renderings, but I got confused in that AMD cpu's don't have a built in graphic card.  Right now, I've got a 1080Ti GTX card that won't RT any faster than X12 because it must use the CPU to do RT'ing.

So as I look to update my rig, I'm wondering if I'm better served in RT scenes (I do a lot of very complex interiors) if I went with a complete AMD chip set and CPU with a 3060 RTX instead of intel.

Any thoughts or comments or comparisons?

Interesting proposition, but I don't have any idea of how to make the comparison short of some sort of head to head test.

My new laptop has a RTX 3060 and a fairly powerful i7 intel processor, which seems to work well together.