Hardieboard (Fiber Cement) Siding ?

Allura recently lost a lawsuit that alleged they make the product from fly ash and that it breaks and shrinks.

https://considertheconsumer.com/class-action-settlements/allura-fiber-cement-siding-settlement-2021-start-to-claim-the-12-5-million-settlement-rebate-now

Hardie has had problems and lawsuits too, but after some reading, I'm going to avoid fly ash products on my new home.

Much is (probably correctly) blamed on incorrect installation. It's not hard, but failure to read the documentation and just nail it to the wall will result in the clearances and nailing being wrong and possible water damage to the siding or structure.

Wrong nail pattern, nail over-penetration and incorrect spacing between planks and panels and incorrect caulking seem to be the biggest offenders.

I think we're going to go with Factory painted Hardie CedarMill.  Then I don't have to rely on somebody that may not paint it correctly.

Good luck on your hunt, I'm not sure anything out there is 100% perfect.

• Like 1

Hi…

Thanks so much - that’s certainly worthy of consideration and gives me pause. Hmm - yeah - maybe I’ll just bite the bullet and go with wood siding that I’ll have to have stained and sealed every few years? This is for my retirement home that I’m really trying to make as low maintenance as possible.

This was a home I had looked at that had the Hardieboard with water damage - not all over - but a few spots where the water was consolidated and ran from the roof onto the siding. It wasn’t very old. I didn’t purchase it and I’m building from scratch now.

5FD7D1CD-C412-44CC-BE37-6828F2B81075.thumb.jpeg.50572c672c3888c8c90f4c5ebff40a67.jpeg

Regards,

Scott

I am not so sure cement board is the greatest product in the north east or other places where the climate is cold and damp.  I asked a question  about submersion and got some good advice here a while back.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I am not so sure cement board is the greatest product in the north east or other places where the climate is cold and damp.  I asked a question  about submersion and got some good advice here a while back.

Hi.

Thanks as well - more interesting feedback on why not to use it. When I looked at the Hardieboard site - the color from my above screen shot no longer looks like it's available. I didn't really see anything else that worked for the look I'm trying to achieve.

Regards,
Scott

14 hours ago, rgardner said:

You might check out LP Smartside (their premium pre-finished product).  They have a stigma due to failures years ago but from what I have seen they have fixed the issues.

https://lpcorp.com/products/exterior/siding-trim

Hi Ryan,

Thank you kindly good sir.

Hmm - I'll take a look.

:)

I did start looking at wood again - realizing the maintenance required.

Again - similar to the look of Hardieboard but an actual wood example. I probably wouldn't want the rounded faux log cabin planks - preferring flat planks - I do like the knots.

snip3.thumb.JPG.5dee26eb634a4105fbd9f84a07d56d2a.JPG

Regards,
Scott