Nvidia GTX 1070 and Realtime Raytracing in X13

amddrafting

So some older GTX cards are supposed to support real time raytracing with the latest drivers but X13 doesn't recognize this.  Any chance we could see an update to support it?

"GTX cards that will gain basic ray tracing effects and low ray counts include the Titan XP, Titan X, GTX 1080 Ti, GTX 1080, GTX 1070 Ti, GTX 1070, GTX 1060 6GB, GTX 1660 Ti (Turing), GTX 1660 (Turing)."

From the reviews I've read about real time raytracing with these drivers for a GTX 1080 the performance was terribly poor even compared to the 20xx series which is quite a way behind the 30xx cards.

So for some applications (and perhaps Chief?) I could understand companies not wanting to support use of the older cards as it could make features appear unusable and it adds another area of possible driver bugs to contend with.

10 hours ago, amddrafting said:

So some older GTX cards are supposed to support real time raytracing with the latest drivers but X13 doesn't recognize this.  Any chance we could see an update to support it.

Curious, where was this info found? Thanks

22 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Curious, where was this info found? Thanks

That was announce by Nvidia back in 2019 I think. Don't remember if CA ever said they'd work.

The realioty in 2021-

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-ray-tracing/

"...

Nvidia released a breakdown of generating a single frame of Metro Exodus, where it showed how the rendering pipeline is laid out and how it is affected by ray tracing. While an RTX 2080 and GTX 1080 Ti might be roughly comparable in performance for non-ray-traced games, when ray tracing is applied to a scene, it can take much longer for the 1080 Ti, without the dedicated RT cores, to generate the same image.

The dedicated RT cores in RTX 20-series GPUs were a big selling point, but they didn’t quite deliver the performance Nvidia suggested. Even last-gen’s 2080 Ti struggled in supported ray tracing titles upon launch. The new RTX 3080 and 3090 feature newer RT cores,..."

I got the laptop with the 2070 super last fall to use for testing, Eventually decided I needed a 3000 series card for the amount of RT my work will call for; hence the desktop. So spent a bit more than I had planned for the year; but that's just business.

I am wondering is anyone running X13 using an RTX2080ti?

I have tried several different things suggested by tech support and I also did a graphics card stress that says my graphics card is working fine.

Tech support is stumped.

I have been searching online for a RTX 3080 card to swap out the 2080 with but they appear to be eternally out of stock on the new 3080.

Here is what I am experiencing when I try to use a 3D view, just before Chief shuts down:

Anyone have a suggestion?

1st Erro 2021-04-19 175255.jpg

Same error again Screenshot 2021-04-27 192631.jpg

Screenshot 2021-05-20 091849.jpg

Screenshot 2021-05-21 193130.jpg

2 hours ago, parkwest said:

I am wondering is anyone running X13 using an RTX2080ti?

I switched over to the laptop-2070 super- to see if there was a difference with the public beta. No issue here.

Both these have a decent number of lights, the second one was a beast in X12. I have daytime ambient turned down to  500, cap live samples checked, max export at 1000. Sun is down at 1000 or less, off in the other. Standard exposure setting (0.35?) Nvidia driver 461.92 Windows graphic setting set to use the Nvidia card for X13, ray trace, and x12. Then the same set up in Nvidia control panel. Hope some of that helps. I had problems back a ways with the 2070 with an older driver but I'd guess that's  the first thing tech support had you check>

image.thumb.png.de2d61becdde4d04c6da1763c8193596.pngimage.thumb.png.44aae94fc751e68485bd7aa19f20a0aa.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, parkwest said:

Anyone have a suggestion?

You have a graphics card timeout issue. Have you updated your drivers?
You could do a reg key hack to circumvent the timeout issue, though of course no one would recommend that.
I've been encouraged not to point people in that direction.

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

You have a graphics card timeout issue. Have you updated your drivers?
You could do a reg key hack to circumvent the timeout issue, though of course no one would recommend that.
I've been encouraged not to point people in that direction.

thanks Rene!  Yes, geforce driver is the latest.  

Any idea what would cause the time-out issue?

7 minutes ago, parkwest said:

thanks Rene!  Yes, geforce driver is the latest.  

Any idea what would cause the time-out issue?

If you use a blank chief-provided template plan do you still have an issue?

Are you on the current Beta?
Have you the newest geforce experience drivers?
Do you have a forced performance mode on for Chief?
Have you ensured all relevant settings are enabled for Chief in performance mode?
Do you have any other conflicting graphics drivers? 

Have you completely uninstalled the geforce drivers and wiped the system and installed new?

This is reply to Rene... not to get confused with multiple responses.  Thanks everyone

Yes, one of the first things I tried... in case a corrupt template was involved.

I wish I could copy and paste what tech had me do but not sure I can do it on the open forum.

1 minute ago, parkwest said:

Yes, one of the first things I tried... in case a corrupt template was involved.

I wish I could copy and paste what tech had me do but not sure I can do it on the open forum.

Check again for all of the things I posted above and then might consider a fresh install of Beta

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Strange thing is the PBR and ray tracing works fine on the new release of my other CAD program.

Is that real time ray trace?, you will find that the regular ray trace works just fine in Chief. , You can also turn off raytrace in PBR and that works, just not as much fun either way.

Run GPU-z and see what the sensors are saying.

19 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

If you use a blank chief-provided template plan do you still have an issue?

Are you on the current Beta?
Have you the newest geforce experience drivers?
Do you have a forced performance mode on for Chief?
Have you ensured all relevant settings are enabled for Chief in performance mode?
Do you have any other conflicting graphics drivers? 

Have you completely uninstalled the geforce drivers and wiped the system and installed new?

@parkwest4th question I ask is what Joe is suggesting. Ensure that chief is using your card in performance mode