Image Rotation on the X axis ?

Chopsaw

36 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Has anyone found a method to rotate an image so that it can be viewed from above ?

In the past, I've made the image into a material and added it to a polyline solid. Although an image may not be the same as a jpg in Chief. Did you mean an image object?

Yes Build> Image> Create Image.  It is actually a black logo with transparent lettering that shows the background colour.  Possibly I could edit the transparent areas to match to the background and create a material but most likely the colour would be off and not look right.

I originally tried to do a p-solid with the lettering cut out but had a bunch of overlaps that I could not see and ended up crashing the program which was a waste of more than a just a couple of hours.  Then I went to the Image which is quick but did not realize it would not rotate. :(

Chopsaw,

This should work.

Place the image in plan view and open it's dbx.

Check the location of the image file.

Still in plan view, go Import Picture.

I copy/pasted the path from above, but had more success when I searched for just the name of the image (FlameCA2.png).

Paste the image into the plan.

This is a quick one using an image file from the library.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.44.44 am.jpg

Ah hu...   That looks cool Glenn but don't let your insurance agent see the plans.

I guess I should have been more specific that it needs to be visible in a 3D camera view which is why I chose the Image because I remember you saying that it even works in vector view.

2 minutes ago, glennw said:

What am i missing?

Yes no problem using them on a vertical surface but I can't seem to make them lay on a horizontal surface.  Convert to symbol would work but it is not an option.

12 minutes ago, glennw said:

Didn't I just show you how to place an image on a horizontal surface? 

Maybe but plan view is not a 3D horizontal surface.  It needs to be a 3D camera view and the image needs to lay flat on the horizontal surface visible from above.  The "Image Always Faces Camera" setting is completely invisible from directly above.  Also I am not using that setting so the image stays in a fixed location on the surface. 

1 minute ago, glennw said:

OK, I think I get it.

You want it to be visible in a 3D vector view, but you want it to be horizontal, not vertical.

Yes.   But not necessarily vector.   That is just a bonus.  Vector or Standard.....

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Are you needing to use the transparency setting available in the Image tool or does the picture file have transparency of its own?

Transparency is ok in the image file and don't need to use the adjustments in chief.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I don’t understand then why you can’t simply make a material out of the picture file and set it to Stretch To Fit.

That is actually what I tried first and it would not wrap properly because of excess transparent border and then I messed with scale and offset until I got frustrated and gave up.  Then I got into the whole p-solid mess and crashed the file. Then moved on to the Image method and was not happy with the quality so I edited the png file and found it did not rotate.  So finally you suggest the original method and it just so happens that the edited png file I made works perfectly. Except for Vector View. :(

I just did not think of going full circle and back to that although it was not quite as simple as Ryan's example because of the shape not being a rectangle but a diamond, but if you are going to be unique it will always take more time or cost extra. ;)

Thanks Guys !

I brought this plan forward so it looks like I will be trying out "Line Drawing on Top" of Standard View since that was something I requested a while back. :)