How do I set the joist and plank direction for decks?

Ed_Orum

I tried a joist direction line and bearing lines showing the way I want the joists to run on the decks.  No matter what I do, Chief sets them exactly the opposite.  I cant get the deck joists to populate in the proper direction using the automatic deck framing tool.

The attached plan shows what I want.  How do I get it?
     Also, why does the joist direction show 2x10 when the specification box for the decks has the joists at 2x8's?

Thanks in advance,

Lane

05-20-21 Plan File.plan

24 minutes ago, Ed_Orum said:

I tried a joist direction line and bearing lines showing the way I want the joists to run on the decks.  No matter what I do, Chief sets them exactly the opposite.  I cant get the deck joists to populate in the proper direction using the automatic deck framing tool.

The attached plan shows what I want.  How do I get it?
     Also, why does the joist direction show 2x10 when the specification box for the decks has the joists at 2x8's?

Thanks in advance,

Lane

05-20-21 Plan File.plan 8.16 MB · 1 download

Have a closer look at the structure panel of the deck room dbx.

If you want the joist direction line to control your deck joists, you need to draw it on the floor below.

Personally, I would recommend that you use the room specification to control your deck joists and planks.  Just turn off the "automatic" option to calculate this based on the size of the deck and then you can specify the directions you want.  I would also turn back on the auto regenerate feature until you need to make any custom framing changes.

Here is a tech article with some more info:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00794/customizing-deck-planking-and-framing-automatically.html

deck controls.png

• Upvote 3