door area disappears on furred side of a double wall when I move a perpendicular wall close, but not that close

SH_Canada

You are getting into the other door way and chief does not know how to handle that nor would your framers.  You can get a few more inches by using the "Ignore Casing for Opening Resize" setting in General Plan Defaults if the might help.

well it does this behaviour at less than 3 inches from the outside of the jamb. I can buy 2.25" casing that overlaps the jamb by 1/2", so this leaves me with 1-3/4 that I should be able to have before it cannot work.

Although the setting: 

34 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Ignore Casing for Opening Resize" setting in General Plan Defaults if the might help.

works, so thank you for this (I'm glad there is a way), I would have expected that because I specified in my door to not use "interior casing", that it would have used, well, no casing. I have noticed before that when bumping, it will bump to the casing for normal walls

On a normal wall, by only removing the interior casing on the door and leaving the general defaults without the above setting, I can move the wall right up to the jamb...and past it (see below). So it seems this is only a problem for double walls which are furred.

But thanks again for letting me know about the setting

image.thumb.png.dedbcf9bc5f3c9f5ffb5721748187cf0.png

1 hour ago, jasonN said:

I would have expected that because I specified in my door to not use "interior casing", that it would have used, well, no casing. I have noticed before that when bumping, it will bump to the casing for normal walls

Until you save the settings you changed in the door dbx nothing actually changes so if you are turning casing off you need to save and close the dbx before you can make a size change or a movement that the casing would block the door from doing.

13 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Until you save the settings you changed in the door dbx nothing actually changes so if you are turning casing off you need to save and close the dbx before you can make a size change or a movement that the casing would block the door from doing.

yes, I saved and exited from the dbx.

The issue is completely repeatable when I open the plan or move the door and do it again.

The other workaround I found was to place a doorway on the stud wall in front of the door (which is what I had done beside the lower door in the plan). If you look real close the doorway does not quite line up (which is really why I do not like to do these types of workarounds, because I'll forget I did it, or move the door and it wont move with it)

Is there any reason why you can't use a single wall type to define both wall layers?

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 5.36.02 pm.jpg

The interior wall is of type "furred" per CA's suggestion for this type of setup.

From the help file:

Furred Walls

The recommended method for creating furring is to simply add the required air gap, framing, and finish layers to the wall type of your choice.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, glennw said:

Is there any reason why you can't use a single wall type to define both wall layers?

You are correct, there are actually two ways, furred wall and define the wall. There is a reason to use furred walls as a general practice in a reno as opposed to a defined wall. The largest reason is "as built". It is rare that the gap between a concrete wall and a stud wall is consistent due to the concrete. The use of a furred wall allows the gap to be easily adjusted (by adjusting the stud wall) to meet the as built measurements. i.e. I can set the foundation wall to be the set dimensions by survey, or by communal wall agreement, and then adjust internal walls to be per measurements. the measurements seem to rarely be too big, so to speak, where I would have to move a foundation wall out, to match an interior measurement.

I was quoting a CA technical response inquiry about a different issue when not using furred walls in a basement. Their response was:

"In this case I was able to adjust the foundation walls to their proper build by identifying the inner walls that were butted against the Foundation walls as furred walls. I am linking an article on furred walls as well as a training video for creating basements with furred walls for additional reference.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00181/creating-furred-walls.html
https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/93/creating-basements-with-furred-walls.html

The first lists either as options for this type of setup, although it says the latter might be more "effective".  I can certainly see for walls where there is a set amount of insulation between the walls and the stud walls is away from the concrete wall that this would be the best choice.

doing some further investigation, it appears CA is putting a doorway on the furred wall. By removing "use interior casing" setting in defaults for a "doorway" (recall I had already removed this "interior casing" for the actual door), the perpendicular wall can now be moved down to the actual opening before it removes the doorway from the wall. Attached is a video showing the behaviour with and without the doorway interior casing setting on and off. However in plan view it does not appear that I can actually select the doorway to make the change. It is almost like a combined unit. As such it appears the only way to adjust this is through the default settings, which of course means if you have lots of other doors ways you would have to turn on the interior casing for each, if that is what you desired

Posting this for completeness.