Best X13 Features -

Joe_Carrick

There are several new features in X13 that haven't gotten much comment.

One of my favorites is the ability to add Text, Rich_Text, Callouts, Markers & Notes to the Library without having to create a CAD Block.  Then also being able to open them in the Library and edit directly.

This feature is going to save me a lot of time.  I can now save so much textual information in the Library and have it available to annotate my ConDocs.

Now if we could just save Schedules the same way it would be great.  Of course, Schedules can be saved in Templates but having preconfigured Schedules in the Library would be a greate addition.

• Upvote 2

One feature that is HUGE for me is the fill origin offset. This means that tile layouts in CAD elevations can actually be accurate now. In fact, it was sometimes the one feature that would make me do projects in Archicad, rather than keep them in Chief. For interior designers, this is NOT a trivial feature, but I don't see it even listed on the "New Features in X13" page! 

Another feature that I think is incredible (but seems to be getting a "meh" reaction) is the ability to do Boolean operations on polyline solids, and then edit the created object (or the original object) in any view, including 3D views. This is getting pretty darn close to Sketchup.

1 hour ago, Richard_Morrison said:

One feature that is HUGE for me is the fill origin offset.

When did you last upgrade?  Like the fireplace tool deprecation, this is one that has been there for a little while now.  You’re right though.  It was a welcome addition.

1 hour ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Another feature that I think is incredible (but seems to be getting a "meh" reaction) is the ability to do Boolean operations on polyline solids, and then edit the created object (or the original object) in any view, including 3D views. This is getting pretty darn close to Sketchup.

Chief did add some new solid capabilities in X13 but what you’re describing was another capability that we already had in X12.  I’m thinking you must not have done much exploration for a couple versions.  

18 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Chief did add some new solid capabilities in X13 but what you’re describing was another capability that we already had in X12.  I’m thinking you must not have done much exploration for a couple versions.  

Michael,

I think you might need to study the X13 capabilities a little closer.  There are several improvements to editing PSolids & Solids in X13 that we didn't have in X12.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Michael,

I think you might need to study the X13 capabilities a little closer.  There are several improvements to editing PSolids & Solids in X13 that we didn't have in X12.

Yes, compared to X12, X13 is like modeling clay.

I admit that fill origin offsets were improved somewhere along the way. It used to be that fill origin offsets acted globally, I believe, somewhere in the distant past, and I just never noticed when they became individually controllable. 

8 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Michael,

I’ve studied and tested the new features as well as probably anyone and I do realize that.  I’m just saying the specific capability Richard described isn’t new.  

52 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I’ve studied and tested the new feature as well as probably anyone and I do realize that.  I’m just saying the specific capability Richard described isn’t new.  

I just went back to X12 to try this out. Polyline solids are not editable by Boolean operations in a 3D view. Try creating a couple of polyline solids in X12, then go to 3D view and select both of them. I don't get any Boolean operations available at all in 3D, and in X12, if you Union a couple of polyline solids, they don't retain their individual heights.  

5 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I just went back to X12 to try this out. Polyline solids are not editable by Boolean operations in a 3D view. Try creating a couple of polyline solids in X12, then go to 3D view and select both of them. I don't get any Boolean operations available at all in 3D, and in X12, if you Union a couple of polyline solids, they don't retain their individual heights.  

I think I remember that in X12 the boolean operations would not work in 3D on poly solids.

I think you had to convert them to Solids first.

In X13, boolean operations work on poly solids.

The other good thing about X13 is that the Fillet and Chamfer tools work on polysolids.

21 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

It seems maybe I just read your original post too literally:

On 6/6/2021 at 7:12 AM, Richard_Morrison said:

Another feature....is the ability to do Boolean operations on polyline solids...

We’ve had boolean operations for polyline solids for quite some time—just not full 3D boolean as you clarified in your followup post. We could even complete boolean operations while IN 3D but only with regard to the extrusion shape.  There is a good reason for this by the way, and that is because the polyline-solid is in extruded polyline (CAD based object) and not a general solid shape...more on that in a moment.

On 6/6/2021 at 7:12 AM, Richard_Morrison said:

...and then edit the created object (or the original object) in any view, including 3D views.

This is something we simply just had in X12.  

A few side notes too that are pretty important IMO.  We can use use dissimilar primitive/CAD based objects in boolean operations in X13 which is what I think you were really talking about, but the behavior is less new than some might think.  Really all that’s happening is that Chief is automatically converting them to solids instead of us doing so on purpose.  In other words, it’s not a new capability, Chief just saved us a step.  This comes at a notable cost though because as soon as you use dissimilar objects in boolean operations, the resulting object is a solid.  I won’t go into all the various scenarios but while this may be fine for many situations, it isn’t always a good thing and actually introduces extra steps for many operations.  For example...

21 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

if you Union a couple of polyline solids, they don't retain their individual heights.  

...many times I don’t want them to retain their separate heights.  I want a unified extrusion shape with a single height.  In X13 this now requires extra steps.

Bottom line is that there were some great improvements in X13 with regard to primitives (some of which haven’t even been mentioned in this thread), but boolean capabilities are hardly new...just different, and we definitely had the ability to edit in all views in X12.

My favorite new feature is Clipping Cross Section/Elevation Views (chiefarchitect.com).  Very handy for zooming in on specific details and setting cutting planes. 

I also like the new Construction Lines, but they still need some improvements to allow adjusting width/height as a group.  Height auto adjust worked okay, but width had to be done manually one line at a time.  Fortunately, you only have to do it once per plan.  I like infinite setting while working, but I need to control width/height for layouts.

4 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes.  This is one of the best new features IMO.

I'm curious as to what you see as a significant benefit in this feature. We could use an attached text arrow macro with more flexibility in formatting to get essentially the same result for quite awhile now. Now, if we could schedule these polylines, we'd have something. But I haven't been able to figure out how to do this easily.  

7 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I'm curious as to what you see as a significant benefit in this feature. We could use an attached text arrow macro with more flexibility in formatting to get essentially the same result for quite awhile now. Now, if we could schedule these polylines, we'd have something. But I haven't been able to figure out how to do this easily.  

My comment was less about polylines and more about label capabilities.  Being able to place the label on a different layer, the ability to justify text, and the ability to add a border are the main things.  This allows for different formatting for different objects, allows for turning some labels off and leaving other labels on, and allows for more refined looking labels in general.  Yes we could use text boxes before but that is astronomically more time consuming than simply using the object’s label.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes.  This is one of the best new features IMO.

Not sure how I'll use this feature but I have at least 2 different scenarios where my elevations are labeled in the actual elevation and always come in to the Layout with the Layout Labels that I need to delete, and other layout boxes that actually use the Layout Label. Again not sure how this will be used real world but am looking forward to learning.

14 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

My comment was less about polylines and more about label capabilities.  Being able to place the label on a different layer, the ability to justify text, and the ability to add a border are the main things.  This allows for different formatting for different objects, allows for turning some labels off and leaving other labels on, and allows for more refined looking labels in general.  Yes we could use text boxes before but that is astronomically more time consuming than simply using the object’s label.  

I absolutely agree.  A great feature.

For Polylines I would really like to have 2 separate labels.  This would be particularly useful for displaying x-size and y-size.  But then those attributes would need to be available.  ;)

I'm really thinking about "Intelligent Roof Pitch Polylines".  Similar to those I posted in the "Content and Symbols" forum  --- but even better.