X13 Questions and/or Issues?

HumbleChief

I'm sure there's a current Beta forum for X13 which covers issues and questions but am curious about a place on this forum for such things? I have downloaded the X13 Beta and have a couple issues that I have sent to the tech folks but wondered if this might be an OK place to post those issues?

The main issue I have is with the Auto Story Pole dimensions. When I disable the 'Dimensions Between Markers' check box the Story Pole Dims fail to regenerate. Does anyone else have this same issue? I also get a strange diagonal line on one (REAR) elevation in the attached plan. Thanks and if this is not the proper place for these questions please advise.

Thank You

ELEVATION QUESTIONS.plan

You should always report any and all problems that you find in X13 directly to our tech support team.  And if tech support asks you for more information, such as a plan or system info, then please be sure and send this to them as well.  If we don't know about the problem or if we don't have enough information to reproduce it then it makes it very difficult for us to fix it.  If you don't have time to report problems, then you probably shouldn't use the beta.

As for discussing problems on the forums, please feel free to do this.  The beta is now public which means that any problems are as well.  Just remember that discussing a problem on the forums is not the same as reporting it and you should never assume that we know about because it was discussed here.

Also, please don't try to report problems to us through the suggestions forum.  It really is not setup to do that and it makes the person's job to log suggestions much more difficult.

More information about contacting support can be found here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

Thanks Dermot. I sent the file and issue into Tech support first thing with the plan and supporting info but sometimes it can be good to post a problem here first, in case it's simple user error and no need to contact tech support.

Thanks again. 

Larry,

The diagonal line is the Wall Cap which is jumping up from the lower section of wall to the upper section.

I am not sure why, but will continue to have a play and see if i can find out why it is happening - may be a bug?

5 minutes ago, glennw said:

Larry,

The diagonal line is the Wall Cap which is jumping up from the lower section of wall to the upper section.

I am not sure why, but will continue to have a play and see if i can find out why it is happening - may be a bug?

THANK YOU Glenn! Hope you're well. Tech is looking into that 'feature' as well. :)

My system is old and details are in my sig.  I just downloaded and installed X13 Beta and can get no 3D at all.

No overviews, no camera views, no section views.

I don't really care about RT raytracing, so what should I get in a new laptop to be able to function with this?

43 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I don't really care about RT raytracing, so what should I get in a new laptop to be able to function with this?

There will be a lot of others upgrading to the 30 series cards maybe someone would be willing to give you an old 980 or 1050 if you paid the shipping.

12 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

And what will I not get if I go down to a 2060?

Ray Trace will be a good bit slower, the rest will be a little slower there are 3000 series laptops that are only a smidge more than 2000 though there are some clearance 2000 out there.

21 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

The choices seem limited in quick ship laptops.

Check these links then give them a call to check delivery time. I've done business with both these places, current machine came from HID, machine I'm giving to nephew came from Xotic.

2070s

3060s

3070s

Assorted 2000 and 3000

Thanks, Mark!

How does this one look?  I did not phone to check stock, but before I do, I want an opinion.

I know nothing about computers, so the storage spec is a little murky for me.  The way I specified, it looks to have a SSD with 1 TB.

2021-06-05 12_55_54-Shopping Cart.png

That's just fine. I usually get the best Thermal Interface Materials- makes a difference but likely adds lead time. I personally prefer Evoc (clevo) so I have a hard wire option for network. I like Everki -double check the sizing-might be worth next one up? might not. I have a 15 for the laptop that I had bought for a 13, works fine but wouldn't mind a little more. Then again I'm spoiled as also have one of their backpacks for my older Sager.

12 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Gene, your video card is very old and might not work correctly with chief

Yup.

I just realized my old computer at home that I work on late at night isn't compatible with the new version. It's sporting an old GTX 780. I also maxed out my 250 gig ssd boot drive with the install.

It's a sad day when you realize, you either need to buy a new preboxed computer from Dell Alienware just to get a decent video card, or pay an astronomically high price for a video card component if you want to build your own computer, which I've done for the 4 office computers. Pic attached is from my late January build. Looks like I'm headed to Microcenter, Newegg, and Amazon again. Maybe Bestbuy?

20210127_171709.jpg

On 6/4/2021 at 5:02 PM, glennw said:

Larry,

For anyone interested that diagonal line is indeed the wall cap and a simple wall break at that point fixes the issue. True in X12 as well.

What's the difference between HDMI & DisplayPort? 

My new RTX Card has 1 HDMI and 3 DisplayPort connections.  The computer also has an additional HDMI connection.  

I will probably get 3 DisplayPort cables but currently I'm planning on using 2 HDMI cables and connecting just my 4K TV to the RTX card.  What's the downside?

Eventually I will add a 3rd monitor so I will have to use the DisplayPorts.

53 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Not a lot as far as Chief goes AFAIK, think how they handle sound is different?  that said I use DisplayPort almost always. I have connected the current laptop via one of each to a pair of 2K monitors with no problem. Have not been willing or needed to connect laptop to the 4k.

56 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

What's the downside?

IF there is one you'll find out soon enough ;) I don't know if it's still the case but used to be connecting from the case meant it would use the integrated card instead of the dedicated one. Two laptops ago I had problems connecting by HDMI as it would use the integrated GPU. Last laptop did not have one, the current laptop has one, been fine.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

My new RTX Card has 1 HDMI and 3 DisplayPort connections.  The computer also has an additional HDMI connection.  

I will probably get 3 DisplayPort cables but currently I'm planning on using 2 HDMI cables and connecting just my 4K TV to the RTX card.  What's the downside?

Eventually I will add a 3rd monitor so I will have to use the DisplayPorts.

They want you to buy  more cables.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I'm not an expert, but I believe it gets a little complicated.  There are different generations and versions of both HDMI and DisplayPort and it can depend not only on the computer but on the monitor/TV that you're connecting to.  They both seem to be totally capable options though.  There are 2 things that I think are worth noting though:

1.  As I understand it, HDMI is proprietary and DisplayPort is open source (if that's something that might drive your decision making).

2.  DisaplyPort can drive multiple monitors from a single feed via daisy-chaining.  There are limits and the monitors need to support the functionality, but this means you could have a single available port and still add multiple monitors. 

I remembered something else- it seams that the game ready drivers default to Gsync, which can lead to DP monitor blinking when you have mixed resolutions. Turn it off. I also found that setting the monitors to specific input source works better than auto select.

Michael reminded me...DP out- there are far fewer monitors that have a DP out port and the cost is several time greater than the cost of a cable.

In my case the auto story pole dimensions are there but don't show without the "dimension between markers" enabled.

Click where they are and they show up but disappear when not selected.

image.thumb.png.f24a363e2e7c24266def1dd1dfdc2c8c.png

image.thumb.png.fedaf4025d0f373d3bd608e7fe4bb96b.png

I found a work around. 

Drag the dimension out of the view port and drag the markers back toward the structure.

image.thumb.png.a38086ae1c8bcc5825914c360b08c3ff.png