Showing sinks in the Plan View with an overlay layer set

stevenyhof

See video below.

My Fixtures, Interior is set on to show these details in my foundations where I am planning a slab foundation. I like to show and dimension these fixtures so that all the plumbing is installed in the right plan per the main floor plan view overlaying the foundation.

https://www.loom.com/share/5a19955b67a64998af3640626365bc86

A sink by itself is set to Fixtures, Interior, but once in a cabinet it changes to CAD, Default

Thank you,

Steve

11 minutes ago, solver said:

This was discussed and I posted some images and probably a plan, although I may not understand what you need.

A bit of searching should fine the thread -- foundation fixtures reference.

As this will show you can place the sink outside of the cabinet then drag it into the cabinet.

1 hour ago, DzinEye said:

If you need/use material list etc. then this will muck it up, but you can insert another sink(s) free-standing then move it into position over the embedded sink and it will maintain it's layer.

I was thinking of that but wanted to avoid the extra steps.

1 hour ago, solver said:

This was discussed and I posted some images and probably a plan, although I may not understand what you need.

A bit of searching should find the thread -- foundation fixtures reference.

I will look into this - 
Thank you all!

8 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

https://www.loom.com/share/0cd505c7a19f4828ab08b171a39b87c3
I am using this method - works fine

Thank you!

Since I've only ever needed to do this after the fact, just like you're doing here, this was my solution, but as Ryan suggests, if you insert the original sink in this way you won't need double sinks.  They really should let the sink remain on the original layer.

24 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

This is very easy to do with a "Reference Layerset" showing all the Plumbing Fixtures.  

I believe he IS using reference set Joe... the problem is you need to have the base cabinet layer turned on in order to show the sinks in those cabinets.  If you don't want to show the base cabinet then you're SOL without a 2nd sink.  I don't know why the sink layer needs to change... 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Since I've only ever needed to do this after the fact, just like you're doing here, this was my solution, but as Ryan suggests, if you insert the original sink in this way you won't need double sinks.  They really should let the sink remain on the original layer.

I believe he IS using reference set Joe... the problem is you need to have the base cabinet layer turned on in order to show the sinks in those cabinets.  If you don't want to show the base cabinet then you're SOL without a 2nd sink.  I don't know why the sink layer needs to change... 

I will remember that down the road if I use this again. Thank you

1 hour ago, solver said:

Again, I've not read through or watch videos in this thread.

Did anyone look here: 

Thx Eric.  Just scrolled through...and funny thing is when I got to your solution I see that I gave you a +1 for that way back when you posted it. So much for learning new tricks.  

5 hours ago, rgardner said:

As this will show you can place the sink outside of the cabinet then drag it into the cabinet.

Also in that post Solver suggested using the blank line style for the cabinets in the reference set... which effectively hides the cabinet and shows the sink

I'm sure someone has figured this out already, but turning the cabinet base layer on and setting the line to blank shows the sinks. You still need to use the point to point dimensions, but now I have the sinks and other fixtures all showing up in my Plan View overlay layer.
image.thumb.png.e3e1371680241307ded2ceea511201d6.png

1 hour ago, stevenyhof said:

I'm sure someone has figured this out already, but turning the cabinet base layer on and setting the line to blank shows the sinks. You still need to use the point to point dimensions, but now I have the sinks and other fixtures all showing up in my Plan View overlay layer.
image.thumb.png.e3e1371680241307ded2ceea511201d6.png

A couple of things to add to this great thread. 

1.) If you keep your sink cad blocked with the cabinet they will not show up in a schedule if you happen to need to do a detailed plumbing schedule

2.) When placing a sink or other plumbing item that I know I need to show on my foundation reference I will also place a marker at the sink drain location on their own layer off in everything except the reference layer, this gives me a dimension-able point.

3.) If you use the trick to hide the base cabinet line and use my point #2 here you will have the best of both worlds without the schedule possibility.

• Upvote 1