X13 Beta Now Available

HumbleChief

I downloaded it.  I'm extremely disappointed that X13 Real Time Ray Tracing is not supported on the Mac.  

I have a $4,400 Mac Pro and a $3,900 MacBook Pro.  It's hard to justify buying a $4,000 PC just to Ray Trace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Electromen said:

I downloaded it.  I'm extremely disappointed that X13 Real Time Ray Tracing is not supported on the Mac.  

I have a $4,400 Mac Pro and a $3,900 MacBook Pro.  It's hard to justify buying a $4,000 PC just to Ray Trace.

I think you need to be more upset with Apple than Chief.  Its Apple who hasn't made this possible.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

From what Scott said it was Apple that forced the change in the first place.

You might be thinking about what he said about OpenGL.  Its true Apple announced they wouldn't support OpenGL in the future which made Chief go another direction - but Apple's developing their own GPU right now and looking at ways to include Ray Trace tech that has largely been Nvidia's domain....since Apple's been sticking with AMD GPUs for some time they haven't had a good opportunity to support Ray Tracing. 

I see that changing in the future.

Apple’s strategy is to develop its processors in-house.  They no longer use NVIDA and will move away from AMD.  Not sure how long before its GPU will be on par with NVIDA or AMD.  BTW, Lenovo has a laptop with an NVIDA 2070 RTX or Desktop at Newegg with a 3070 for right around $2k.

• Upvote 1

You guy are correct about Apple.  They are the ones I should be upset with.

I'm looking at a PC, now. Here are the spec.

What I I missing?  Will this support VR?

This is Dell Alienware

Processor
11th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 11900KF (8-Core, 16MB Cache, 3.5GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost
Operating System = Windows 10 Pro English
Video Card = NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X
Memory = 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz; up to 128GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive = 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Chassis Options = Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply
Wireless = Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth
FGA  = no FGA
Base =Alienware Aurora R12
Processor Branding =11th Gen Intel Core i9 non-vPro label

$3,824.99

- $76.50
Item Total:
$3,748.49
Includes a 1 Year Hardware Warranty with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis

27 minutes ago, Electromen said:

You guy are correct about Apple.  They are the ones I should be upset with.

I'm looking at a PC, now. Here are the spec.

What I I missing?  Will this support VR?

This is Dell Alienware

Processor
11th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 11900KF (8-Core, 16MB Cache, 3.5GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost
Operating System = Windows 10 Pro English
Video Card = NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X
Memory = 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz; up to 128GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive = 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Chassis Options = Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply
Wireless = Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth
FGA  = no FGA
Base =Alienware Aurora R12
Processor Branding =11th Gen Intel Core i9 non-vPro label

$3,824.99

- $76.50
Item Total:
$3,748.49
Includes a 1 Year Hardware Warranty with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis

That should do the trick...

On 6/3/2021 at 2:15 PM, Electromen said:

Yeah I couldn't agree with you more.  

The webinar about x13 features // ray tracing was SUPER misleading about this, it seemed to indicate that using Metal would have the same impact on GPU rendering as the Windows based GPU rendering engine.  The only issue disclosed by the webinar related to Mac's was incompatibility with the M1, which is something that CA is working on and makes sense...  

I downloaded x13 beta, just to try this faster RT on my 16" MBP only to have pass 1 take 9 minutes, which is seemingly even slower than x12 (just finished pass 3 at 28min)... The Real Time Ray Trace omission is not really a big deal in my opinion, but the now VAST difference in CPU v GPU overall RT times--sorry but this is infuriating.. 

I get the other replies here that this is apparently an Apple issue... Regardless of whose shoulders this falls on, as a consumer using a Mac and CA, it's hard to come to any conclusion that Mac users are stuck with a vastly inferior product compared to the Windows version of CA, but for the same application and SA renewal price???  How is that just a "shoulder-shrug ok//hopefully this all works out in the future" justification on the part of CA???  This is all just not okay. :angry:

Christopher Topp

Kitchen and Interior Designer

CA Premier x13 (beta)

16" MBP with AMD 5500 

Stuck on CPU Ray Tracing in perpetuity apparently.

• Downvote 1

The issue with MAC's and Real Time Ray Tracing (RTRT) has been known for a long time but it's understandable if it somehow went unknown to many users. I haven't Ray Traced in years and won't start anytime soon, even with RTRT, which saves an upgrade to a very expensive GPU that I don't need and also allows a focus upon all of the other new features that are, IMO, outstanding. Small things like a more thorough undo, which came in handy today, and other small things that will add to this users production ease and speed.

And if I understand the post above MAC users should not have to pay the same SSA fee as Windows users because Apple has decided to create their own standard that will be compatible with only Apple products or at least make it very difficult to adhere to therefore creating a vastly inferior Chief product? I guess I don't understand but best of luck either way.

On 6/3/2021 at 12:40 PM, HumbleChief said:

New features look awesome...

Damn, this has a LOT of things we've been asking for for like 10 years.

I was hoping to see some position control of dimension text laterally (as in to the left or right, instead of just above, below or centered on the line.)  But maybe for X14.  Love the automatic C/L feature thought!  And framing header controls are finally fully functional!

1 hour ago, AvoyeDesign said:

I was hoping to see some position control of dimension text laterally (as in to the left or right, instead of just above, below or centered on the line.)

I assume you are talking about setting a default for this?

On 6/3/2021 at 9:17 PM, scottharris said:

Apple’s strategy is to develop its processors in-house.  They no longer use NVIDA and will move away from AMD.  Not sure how long before its GPU will be on par with NVIDA or AMD.  BTW, Lenovo has a laptop with an NVIDA 2070 RTX or Desktop at Newegg with a 3070 for right around $2k.

Spot on Scott.  A question i have for you if you're willing to answer is: Has Chief considered developing their Mac version in ARM so you don't have to use their built-in emulator (x86 - CISC) in the future?  I realize its very difficult working around Apple's erratic path changes, but I do worry that in the future the only way to utilize the Apple silicon is going to be coding software to ARM (RISC - Reduced Instruction Set Computing).

I'm sure a lot of Chief users don't understand that Chief may not be any faster in an M1 (or other Apple silicon) unless you guys modify/optimize your code to take advantage like Adobe and other software companies are.

On 6/5/2021 at 6:47 AM, Gr8trim4u said:

Still no railing offset on the stairs. 

Stairs are still a major outstanding issue in chief.  We got some things a while back to hold us over, but until we are specifying their framing, have railing offsets, and probably a bunch of other stuff they are still a very basic tool IMO.