Floor joist, help with spacing.

Doug-ib

5 minutes ago, SNestor said:

It's a Chief thing. Chief automatically places double joists under walls. 

AH, is there anyway to disable the feature? or i is just something that i should include in the general construction notes.

3 minutes ago, Doug-ib said:

is there anyway to disable the feature?

Check your code book first. If using dimensional lumber it's still code to support those walls. Some situations with I joists will need the extra joists under those walls.

• Like 1

Yes...supporting walls in required but you can do it with blocking. Placing a solid joist under a wall creates all sorts of problems for mechanical trades. The first thing that will happen is your electrician or plumber will cut or drill your engineered i-joist in a location that destroys the integrity of the joist.

Happens all the time...^_^

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/3/2021 at 6:53 AM, joey_martin said:

Check your code book first. If using dimensional lumber it's still code to support those walls. Some situations with I joists will need the extra joists under those walls.

Unless your State amendments to the IRC require double joists under interior non bearing walls, the IRC does not require it.( R502.2). If the wall is a braced wall panel or an engineered shear wall you will need double joists, blocking  or what ever the Structural Engineer requirements are.