Dimensions on Different Layer Sets/Active Views

WFM73717

I am using X12.

I can't seem to find an answer to a problem I have.  I like to add manual dimensions on my plan sets where auto dimensions don't do what I want them too.  Is it possible to have a drawing of the same floor, saved as a different layer set, show different manual dimensions without showing the dimensions from the same floor but a different layer set?  I may not be making sense but, say I have drawn the Basement/Foundation and added my own dimensions and saved it as Foundation Layer Set.  Then I want to show the actual basement int. walls, plumbing, details, etc. on another layer set but it is showing all of the dimensions from the first layer set.  I want to customize dimensions on both sets and not show the dimensions from the other layer.  What am I missing?

Thanks

Save your active plan view as ...icon should be / or can be added to tool bar with edit active view and save active view... Now when its saved as another plan within the same file you can associate whatever layer set you want with the new plan. Note all the plans within the file will update so if you make a change in say foundation auto dim foundation man dim will update

1 hour ago, solver said:

The dimensions need to be on unique layers so they may be turned off or on via a layer set.

this is key, as by default they go on layer Dimensions, Manual. If you do not want to continually change the layer set of your manual dimensions after you place them, you should create a different default(aka annotation) set

For me, all dimensions drawn on the foundation are in a SPV called Foundation with a default set called 3/16" Foundation Plan Set. This 3/16" Foundation Plan Set then has a dimensions default set  called 3/16" Scale Dimension Foundation. This dimension set, is then set to be on layer "Dimensions, Foundation Plan".

And then the layerset associated with the SPV is Foundation Set print, and it has this layer "Dimensions, Foundation Plan" turned on. you could duplicate this to do what you want. I think out of the box there is a Electrical default set. You could create a plumbing set from that and then create a new layer called Dimensions, Plumbing and put the dimensions on it.

Alternatively, you can choose not to associate the default set with the SPV, and select it from the "Active Default Set Control". For instance if you do not want to create a foundation SPV, you could just change the default set back and forth.

I spent more than a few hours thinking I could just use Dimensions, manual between sets, and went a little stir crazy. Then went to dimensions per SPV

10 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

this is key, as by default they go on layer Dimensions, Manual. If you do not want to continually change the layer set of your manual dimensions after you place them, you should create a different default(aka annotation) set

For me, all dimensions drawn on the foundation are in a SPV called Foundation with a default set called 3/16" Foundation Plan Set. This 3/16" Foundation Plan Set then has a dimensions default set  called 3/16" Scale Dimension Foundation. This dimension set, is then set to be on layer "Dimensions, Foundation Plan".

And then the layerset associated with the SPV is Foundation Set print, and it has this layer "Dimensions, Foundation Plan" turned on. you could duplicate this to do what you want. I think out of the box there is a Electrical default set. You could create a plumbing set from that and then create a new layer called Dimensions, Plumbing and put the dimensions on it.

Alternatively, you can choose not to associate the default set with the SPV, and select it from the "Active Default Set Control". For instance if you do not want to create a foundation SPV, you could just change the default set back and forth.

I spent more than a few hours thinking I could just use Dimensions, manual between sets, and went a little stir crazy. Then went to dimensions per SPV

This is the correct answer. It's a little complicated but yes, in a nutshell you need a separate and unique Saved Dimension, separate and unique Layer for that dimension, and a separate and unique Layer Set for that Saved Plan View. Then switch On or Off that Layer for the particular SPV.

This is only necessary when, as in your example case, you need to show different views of the same Floor, or a totally unique View in a different Scale, like 1/2" Scale Kitchen Cabinet View as an example (one of my unique views)

In other words, if you have very similar dimensioning needs (also CAD and other settings) for a Main Floor Plan View and a Second Floor Plan View, it may work that they can share the same Manual Dimension setup, since they are on different Floors.

This same Layer Set structure works to streamline your creation and display of CAD and other elements of the Plan Views, like object displays.