New Computer Setup

Joe_Carrick

If you are getting a new computer it can be a real hassle to get everything transferred from the old to new.

I suggest purchasing "ZInstall".  It will make your life real easy by copying all your files and programs & settings. 

The things to remember when using it is to connect with an ethernet cable (for speed) and make sure you use the same microsoft account on both systems so that all your favorites & passwords, etc - get transferred.

• Upvote 1

On a MAC you can use "migration assistant" to move files from a MAC to MAC...or from a PC to MAC. I've never used this feature...so, I cannot vouch for how good/bad it works..but, my new computer is on it's way and I'll know soon enough.

Here's a link: Migration Assistant

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, SNestor said:

On a MAC you can use "migration assistant" to move files from a MAC to MAC...or from a PC to MAC. I've never used this feature...so, I cannot vouch for how good/bad it works..but, my new computer is on it's way and I'll know soon enough.

Here's a link: Migration Assistant

It works really well! And super easy too. You'll like it!

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2021 at 3:17 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

If you are getting a new computer it can be a real hassle to get everything transferred from the old to new.

I suggest purchasing "ZInstall".  It will make your life real easy by copying all your files and programs & settings. 

The things to remember when using it is to connect with an ethernet cable (for speed) and make sure you use the same microsoft account on both systems so that all your favorites & passwords, etc - get transferred.

I just watched the video for this software. Is it really that simple, what was your experience?

7 minutes ago, ericepv said:

I just watched the video for this software. Is it really that simple, what was your experience?

Yes, but make sure your computer is clean (no malware, etc) and has all the updated drivers.  There is also an advanced mode that allows selection of exactly what you want transferred.

Since I had most of my files on Dropbox - I really only needed to transfer my programs & settings.

I purchased Zinstall and it migrated everything from my old computer to the new one with only a few minor issues which were easily resolved (their tech support is very helpful). Thanks Joe for posting about this software, it was easy to use and saved me alot of time.

- Eric