Need to show 1St and 2nd fl roof together in layout

jaked1

There are a number of ways to accomplish this depending on what you want to accomplish.

An easy roof plan can be sent to layout to scale using the orthographic full overview, and then selecting top view

It can also be done in plan view by selecting the errant roof planes and hitting the "show one floor up" or "one floor down button.

These are two easy ones, there are more ways to handle this depending on what you want to show

I've had to use CAD blocks of additional elements to show when i'm wanting elements from more than one floor.  the ref. layer copied and adjusted is great if it's one floor but say for example on a site plan i want the roof planes to show which may be on a 3rd floor or above but I also want a 2nd floor exterior stair to show but my terrain layer is existing on the first floor.  And, maybe i have a basement stairwell that goes down into a full basement on the outside of the foundation wall.

i've done several 3 story/full basement whole structure remodels and haven't found any other way around than creating some cad blocks of elements using an all off layer set and then CAD detail from view.

it'd be nice if ref layers could stack to show more that one floor

EDIT:  I just created a CAD from view detail from a "top" full ortho view.  6 years and i never knew that was possible.  I thought I could only take them from the elevation/section views.  I guess this new forum isn't so bad after all  :~)

Yes, that is a problem if you have 3 floors but you can copy/ paste, and put it on a different layer for some things. What we really need is to be able to have mutable  reference sets. I think the op just had a simple reference situation. We have asked for that ,maybe X7

• 1 year later...

See if this helps.

http://www.screencast.com/t/UsoU4GDW

STOP STOP STOP STOP.

WOW,  If I am not mistaken,  if you follow Larry's advice you are headed for disaster......and Larry and I like each other.  First off I did a set of videos called ANNO SETS FOR DUMMIES,  they are somewhere.  I think they hold up pretty good.  You might want to watch them.

Disclaimer:  I am wrong 95% of time,  I might be wrong here.....  but here is where I think  Larry was going wrong......   please please correct me if I am wrong.

Mistake by Larry: he changed what layers were active and the line styles of the active layers for the ROOF PLAN LAYER SET,  and he was using it for a REF SET.  (read that statement again)

That ROOF PLAN LAYER SET is being used for the ROOF PLAN SENT TO LAYOUT.  Why would you change the active layers and the line style of the active layers.  Larry was on the right track,  but what he should of done is to COPY THE ROOF PLAN LAYER SET and rename it ROOF PLAY LAYER SET REF SET,  or whatever.  The point being,  If  you start changing what layers are being used and the line color for a particular layer set,  and you are using that layer set for multiple functions,  i.e. a LAYER SET for one view sent to layout and a REF SET for another view sent to layout,  you are causing yourself a lot of heart ache.

When Larry started changing the looks of the wall at first floor  (by turning WALL NORMAL layer on)  that was good,  but he could of taken it a step further by TURNING OFF WALL LAYERS and by turning on the layer MAIN LAYERS ONLY.  

Larry was definitely on the right track,  he just had not had the experience to fully explain what was going on.  Here is a comment from a guy I am helping out   

Once I have the list complete and have watch all four of your “ANNO SETS FOR DUMMIES” and

I did these vids about 4 or 5 years ago,  and they hold up well,  you might want to watch them........  

If anybody were to ask me what were the most important videos to watch, they would be,  ANNO SETS FOR DUMMIES,  THE MRLS VIDEOS,  and THE SAM VIDEOS............  in my opinion,  if you understand these concepts,  you are on your way to being proficient in CA........  another disclaimer:  there are many users who are very very proficient and they use a derivation of these  concepts...... my way is not the only way,  it's just these are the best videos that I have seen to date explaining the process.

THANKS GUYS SO MUCH.  I did watch MLRS #1 but did not really get it too well.   Maybe I need to watch the whole series to figure it out.  I will look for the anno sets for dummies vid.  DSH:  I think I see that what I am doing is referencing a layer set that I am already using as the main layers set.  I have not figured out how to get other floors referenced onto the floor I am using.  I tried it with my 2nd floor roof plan and got the 2nd floor walls and the 1st floor walls right below as well.  Good for the one story parts but not good for the two story parts.  I was reading some posts that said that I needed to try to use the display on upper floor button but could not find that.  I guess I will just have to watch some more videos to fig. out how to better do the reference sets.  I think what DSH is getting at is having an anno set, a ref set, and a layer set for each and every type of plan?  That may be the safest way to do it?

Thanks.  Will let you know when I have watched more of the vids and tried to work it out.  Not much time on my deadline though.  Still have to do water supply riser, DWV riser, electrical riser, pan schedule, load calcs, and building sections.  That's my problem.

The issues are generally much more complex than a simple video can explain and all I was trying do was show how a reference set could show the items requested to be seen. The other parts and pieces like Anno Sets and using the appropriate Layer Set for the Reference Set are needed as well and should not be ignored. BTW I didn't choose the reference set, it was there when I opened the plan. I only attempted to show one way that that reference set could be changed to show what the OP wanted.

If you are using a Layer Set for roofs and the same Layer Set for a reference set then that's a bad Chief practice. Either way take what you want and can use from the video. It's not there to state how it should be done only to give a small glimpse into one way to get what you asked for.

And the more videos you watch, the more you'll learn even if they will head you for 'disaster' like the one I posted. 

You know Larry, I watched that and didn't even notice, I guess, I assume that everyone knows, you need a separate layerset for reference work . Maybe the O.P. didn't.  I'm sure your video helped him get further along the path. As more things evolve with Chief, This can just get worse.

Thanks for your video's

I didn't notice either Perry. The original question seemed pretty simple. "I want to show the walls and roof overhang and roof planes of the floor below and I want to show the dashed roof overhang and roof planes for the current floor." That's the only question the video was intended to address. I also assumed the OP had the ref set figured out but maybe not? So so much to learn and consider and as always watching Scott's videos is a great learning tool.

Anyway I hope there's no fooling anyone with my videos. I do them for purely selfish reasons. Even after many years of using Chief I have a ton to learn and doing the videos can be the best self teaching method I know of. So if they help someone else that's awesome but they certainly help me and I hope those selfish reasons don't taint them so I/we can keep learning stuff together.

Thanks much Humble and drawzilla.  No, I did not know that I had to have separate ref sets from layer sets.  I thought you just referenced another layer set to act as the reference set.  I watched your video and then I watched DSH's anno sets for dummies no. 1.  His method does seem safer as once all the ref sets are done then really, no more need to be made at all.  Seems a bit daunting right now though.  Joey Martin:  thanks a lot for your plan.  That really looks like a useful roof plan for the field.  I just may do that hatching thing.

I am almost all set but what is happening to me is I am getting the walls nice and gray and nice and dashed but not nice in that I am getting both floor plans worth of walls instead of just the floor below each roof.  Not sure how that's supposed to be accomplished.

I am almost all set but what is happening to me is I am getting the walls nice and gray and nice and dashed but not nice in that I am getting both floor plans worth of walls instead of just the floor below each roof.  Not sure how that's supposed to be accomplished.

You probably have to set up separate Layers and turn them off/on to get ANYTHING to show the way you want. Takes initial setup time but once you have them set up for one plan you can use them all over the place in different situations. Really no short cuts but the Layer setup investment will pay off.

Your question states. " the walls nice and gray and nice and dashed but not nice in that I am getting both floor plans worth of walls instead of just the floor below each roof." Are you saying you don't want to see the walls on the second floor? If so turn that Layer off. If you want to show only certain walls create a new Layer for those walls, turn that on, and turn all the other walls off. AND while you do that create new Layer Sets as you need them to keep it straight for sending to Layout.

I have a Roof Plan Anno Set that refers to a Roof Plan Layer Set and that Layer Set shows only roof planes (most every other Layer is turned off)  with all the walls grayed out and locked so clicking on them won't select them. I've also locked windows and doors for that Layer Set. The roof planes are a special color and pretty thick lines so they show up well and I  use that Anno Set for shaping the more complicated roofs. That Layer Set also gets sent to Layout as the Roofing Plan.