terrain data, best input method and how to smooth the terrain.

Doug-ib

This is my first time trying to bring in data collected from GPS into chief arch. I have converted the CSV file into a txt doc but when i bring it into chief arch the land/terrain looks very off; there are tons of spikes/triangles on the area and I'm unsure how to make it "smooth". Also unlike other programs I've used when I click a point I don't get a description of the point, meaning i cant tell if I'm looking at a shot of the sidewalk or a portion of the driveway, im wondering if there is a more effective way to input this data or a way that will allow me to keep my codes/point descriptions that I set when i was in the field.

Any info/solutions on this topic would be appreciated.

terrain.plan

Hey Doug, Terrain can be frustrating in Chief but you have to give it a fighting chance. I downloaded and opened your file and got the warning message below. Then I placed a point, that should be close to 0,0 coordinates and the 'X' position is off of 0,0 by over 200 million inches. I tried to get the data back to 0,0 but I think 200 million inches is a pretty heavy lift for Chief but there are probably experts here who can get that done. Until that's done I think Chief will simply not be happy with any model.

Turns out that the objects can be group selected then Transformed/Replicated back to 0,0, then rebuild terrain. Not sure what it should look like but again at least you'll have a fighting chance.

terrain 2.png

terrain 1.png

terrain 3.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doug-ib said:

This is my first time trying to bring in data collected from GPS into chief arch. I have converted the CSV file into a txt doc but when i bring it into chief arch the land/terrain looks very off; there are tons of spikes/triangles on the area and I'm unsure how to make it "smooth". Also unlike other programs I've used when I click a point I don't get a description of the point, meaning i cant tell if I'm looking at a shot of the sidewalk or a portion of the driveway, im wondering if there is a more effective way to input this data or a way that will allow me to keep my codes/point descriptions that I set when i was in the field.

Any info/solutions on this topic would be appreciated.

terrain.plan 3.14 MB · 2 downloads

It looks fine to me (I added the grid to help view the contours). I downloaded, then opened your plan. Chief gives this warning. I selected "Move". You could try the same thing.

Or, you can fill the screen, select everything, and use the transform/replicate tool to move everything to absolute 0,0.

image.thumb.png.9628684be4316a6cd41346f731e58cc4.png

image.thumb.png.4006a15faae79a84d2eb8b95ee32651a.png

• Upvote 1

Just now, Doug-ib said:

okay, i opened to file again selected "move" and clicked rebuild then it looked better. thanks! do you know if there is any way to grade areas and determine cuts and fills from the terrain?

That might be possible in Chief but I think much pain would ensue and personally would not even attempt it. There might smart guys here who could guide you through that mine field morass but I've always placed that task on the Civil Engineer's desk as anytime that info is needed in an accurate manner it has to be certified by a CE anyway.

• Upvote 1

The basic basic of terrain is to place at least two differing elevation values and the software then calculates a gradient between those two values. The other Elevation tools are set  up to offer more ways to modulate terrain as you require. I prefer importing graphic terrain maps, .dwg's are preferred, then selectively convert the imported CAD lines to elevation lines one at a time. Often times importing GPS data or surveyor digital data results in a terrain plane too complex to easily display on most PC's. I prefer to keep it as simple as is possible (I am not a surveyor, surveyors use specific dedicated software for their work).

DJP

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Doug-ib said:

do you know if there is any way to grade areas and determine cuts and fills from the terrain?

Double click the terrain, select polyline and you'll see that the volume is displayed. So, you'll need to model 2 separate terrains to determine the volume difference. An original, and the desired.'

These 2 models could be overlaid to create all sorts of drawings / visual representations of the alterations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Double click the terrain, select polyline and you'll see that the volume is displayed. So, you'll need to model 2 separate terrains to determine the volume difference. An original, and the desired.

I'm already feeling that pain as any volume difference assumes that a 'cut' has been exported off the property and not used as 'fill' in another area which would not change the volume just rearrange it. Could be possible but much above my pay grade and desire for Chief self inflicted abuse.

• Like 1