Foundation floor changes elevation when closing a room off with a foundation wall

SH_Canada

2 minutes ago, SNestor said:

@jasonn1234 -

Just wondering...why is your 8" concrete stem wall defined as shown? Typically it's one layer 8" thick. You have it defined with 3 layers...I'm not saying this is the problem...just wondering.

2021-05-24_12-43-33.thumb.png.4a4af5e4a368ef7cfc382f72d1d406fe.png

yeah I saw that too, and changed it, did not make a difference if I remember correctly.

it was a "very bad way" to show grey for a 12" ICF wall I did previously. as the ICF was showing blue interior and exterior. lazy just pure lazines

I read the manual on Dynamic defaults. It states:

Dynamic default text fields have an Active Defaults
icon in the value field.
• Click on the Active Defaults icon to remove
the red check mark and prevent the value from
being dynamic.

• Type a value into the text field. The red check
mark is removed from the Active Defaults icon
and the setting is no longer dynamic

However clicking on the rough ceiling elevation red check box on the upper floor in the attached plan will not remove the check box, it will only remove if I actually change the value(the second part of the above). it seems CA is using the red check box for two purposes, i) identifying when the default is being used, ii) not overwriting a value which differs from the default. Unfortunately this means there is not a way in the room DBX to ensure the value does not get overwritten by the dynamic defaults, at least that I can tell

ideally to try and achieve what the user manual indicates, there should be an indicator for "is default" to indicate it matches the default and an indicator for "do not override" which stipulates to not be overrriden by the dynamic defaults

I went through and checked all the defaults for floor / foundation / framing.... everything held @ 94 stem 91 rough. Then I moved your walls to the foundation and again every thing held. I got in the habit long ago of A) move with dimension to 1/2" off concrete (airspace) or B) create the foundation wall with the air space and furred wall attached. Don't know why it wasn't working for you. One thing I did after checking / setting the defaults was rebuild walls floors ceilings... Then all the room defaults held

Jasonn chk 52421.zip

1 hour ago, richoffan said:

I went through and checked all the defaults for floor / foundation / framing.... everything held @ 94 stem 91 rough. Then I moved your walls to the foundation and again every thing held. I got in the habit long ago of A) move with dimension to 1/2" off concrete (airspace) or B) create the foundation wall with the air space and furred wall attached. Don't know why it wasn't working for you. One thing I did after checking / setting the defaults was rebuild walls floors ceilings... Then all the room defaults held

thanks: yes that is the conclusion I made in my earlier post:

"So i think the lesson here so far, is I cant just go into the room to change the elevations. I need to setup the floor defaults/structure defaults to match...if I have a tiny room(wall beside foundation). Whereas before I always just set the room elevations to be correct and did not care what the defaults were."

in other words, you do not have to change your defaults the vast majority of the time. The vast majority of the time you can just change the room structure values on the room dbx. But if you are changing a room to be a tiny room, CA then all of a sudden changes the current room structure values(based on the defaults)...for some unknown reason. So in this specific tiny room case, one MUST go and change the defaults.

I'll log a ticket and see what they say. I'd actually appreciate it if they had a category of published notes which showed this type of odd behaviour, so one could go review them. This is not an easy thing to just search for

10 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

However clicking on the rough ceiling elevation red check box on the upper floor in the attached plan will not remove the check box, it will only remove if I actually change the value(the second part of the above).

You are correct, if the text box is using the default, there will be a red tick, just clicking the wrench will not remove the check box.

You need to change the value in the text box and the red tick will not appear (indicating that the default is not being used). 

The help file is incorrect.

Unfortunately this means there is not a way in the room DBX to ensure the value does not get overwritten by the dynamic defaults, at least that I can tell

All you have to do to overwrite the default is enter a different value than the default - the red tick will not appear, the new value will be used and it will not be overwritten by the default unless you click on the wrench, in which case the default will be used and the red tick will appear.

• 2 weeks later...

CA replied that I should be using "furred walls", as they do not create a room. Putting their answer here for completeness in case anyone else has this issue"

"In this case I was able to adjust the foundation walls to their proper build by identifying the inner walls that were butted against the Foundation walls as furred walls. I am linking an article on furred walls as well as a training video for creating basements with furred walls for additional reference.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00181/creating-furred-walls.html
https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/93/creating-basements-with-furred-walls.html

"