Does anybody have any comments in regards to the new 2021 22" IMAC's?

dshall

If the new model 2021 came in the 27" I would be down there this afternoon buying one.

CA....  any comments?

thanks guys.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

What's this?  https://www.apple.com/imac-24/

Will it run Chief?

It should run chief, apparently the processor , an M1 chip is super fast in lieu of intel I9,   the downsides that I can see:

- it is a 22" monitor instead of a 27"

- the machine is limited to 16gb of UNIFIED MEMORY (whatever that is) compared to 128gb memory.  I am not sure what this all means

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dshall said:

any comments?

Archicad users have some comparisons with the M1 chip to see how it compares, if you're willing to do some searching on their forums or on Youtube. 

The consensus from what I've seen is not anything to write home about.  Upgrade if you're due but don't expect anything remarkable.

Chief was predominately cpu driven, but now with X13 that might not be the case anymore.  

If you're looking for a true bump in performance I think you'll have to consider the dark side...

Sorry that I don't have any real world experience, just trying to point you in the right direction to a group who does.

56 minutes ago, dshall said:

It should run chief, apparently the processor , an M1 chip is super fast in lieu of intel I9,   the downsides that I can see:

- it is a 22" monitor instead of a 27"

- the machine is limited to 16gb of UNIFIED MEMORY (whatever that is) compared to 128gb memory.  I am not sure what this all means

i'm pretty sure M1 is NOT supported by X13.

I would wait for the new pro-series I-Macs. The rumor's are M2 chip that has way better graphics performance and they're saying it will have a 30-32" screen.  The current 24" I-Mac is more for home/personal use than a workstation.  

Save your money...the current iMac that Apple has released is a toy. The pro model is not due to be released until maybe October. Dammit....

As far as my research goes...Apple silicon M1 or whatever the next version is (M1X or M2) will be incredibly fast and efficient. The fan in the new iMAC may never come on. I'm not an expert...but I believe Apple will be placing their graphics GPU on the chip. Chief does not support the M1 chipset.

2021-05-24_10-03-17.thumb.png.8c25ff3f4517b94265e7830b4a81f970.png

Apple isn't helping...the new super duper iMAC is long overdue. I'm going to probably purchase an intel based iMAC now...and trade it in next year if Chief gets onboard and X14 supports Apple GPU...whatever it turns out to be. 

Quite frustrating to be an Apple user right now...and using Chief to make a living. :huh:

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

Save your money...the current iMac that Apple has released is a toy. The pro model is not due to be released until maybe October. Dammit....

As far as my research goes...Apple silicon M1 or whatever the next version is (M1X or M2) will be incredibly fast and efficient. The fan in the new iMAC may never come on. I'm not an expert...but I believe Apple will be placing their graphics GPU on the chip. Chief does not support the M1 chipset.

2021-05-24_10-03-17.thumb.png.8c25ff3f4517b94265e7830b4a81f970.png

Apple isn't helping...the new super duper iMAC is long overdue. I'm going to probably purchase an intel based iMAC now...and trade it in next year if Chief gets onboard and X14 supports Apple GPU...whatever it turns out to be. 

Quite frustrating to be an Apple user right now...and using Chief to make a living. :huh:

yes.... and i just recently renewed my SSA. now i wish i had saved my money.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:19 AM, dshall said:

If the new model 2021 came in the 27" I would be down there this afternoon buying one.

CA....  any comments?

thanks guys.

YES, DON'T EVER GET ONE.

15 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Is X-12/X-13 not supported on the M-1, or is Real Time RayTracing not supported on the M-1?

I don't believe it will run X13...Chief is not supporting the M1 at this time.

However, I can't remember ever seeing a categorical statement from Chief about this...

2 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I don't believe it will run X13...Chief is not supporting the M1 at this time.

However, I can't remember ever seeing a categorical statement from Chief about this...

Is Chief not supporting the M1? Or is the M1 not supporting Chief? Either way it does not sound correct that a new Mac would not run Chief X13, but they did definitively say that RTRT would not be supported by the Mac platform as the Mac graphic standards don't mesh for RTRT..

5 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Is Chief not supporting the M1? Or is the M1 not supporting Chief? Either way it does not sound correct that a new Mac would not run Chief X13, but they did definitively say that RTRT would not be supported by the Mac platform as the Mac graphic standards don't mesh for RTRT..

Apple is not using a dedicated graphics card with their new ARM based processors. Graphics will be mounted right on the M1 chip. 

I don't believe Chief can use the Apple graphics method...and at the same time use the RTX video cards that work basically with Intel X86 architecture. I'm guessing...but, I think Apple is changing the game and causing this issue. Chief had to pick a one path over the other. 

I'm not an expert on this subject so take everything I'm saying as pure conjecture.

1 minute ago, SNestor said:

Apple is not using a dedicated graphics card with their new ARM based processors. Graphics will be mounted right on the M1 chip. 

I don't believe Chief can use the Apple graphics method...and at the same time use the RTX video cards that work basically with Intel X86 architecture. I'm guessing...but, I think Apple is changing the game and causing this issue. Chief had to pick a one path over the other. 

I'm not an expert on this subject so take everything I'm saying as pure conjecture.

No expert on the subject either but do remember the choice that Chief made re: RTRT which I think was no real choice as for some reason, and likely the one you mention above re: graphics chips versus cards, Macs would not play with RTRT. But not run X13 at all? I think in that same dissertation it was said that every other current feature of X13 would be supported, just not RTRT.

We'll know soon enough but if I had a new Mac M1 or was considering buying one I'd make double sure...

Here's the hardware requirements for X13. No mention that X13 will not run on M1 Mac and I think we should be very cautious in stating/suggesting similar. Hmmm...It does state a Mac Pro an no mention of an IMAC. Interesting.

EDIT: I was only reading the bottom green part of the required spec's. Footnote 1 clearly states that "Mac M1 processors are not supported."

Sorry for any confusion.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html#:~:text=Real‑time ray tracing%2C coming,RX 6000 series graphics card.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:19 AM, dshall said:

CA....  any comments?

thanks guys.

Hey Scott, it looks like the IMAC are using an M1 chip and Chief clearly states in that link above that the M1 chip is not supported. :(

38 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Hey Scott, it looks like the IMAC are using an M1 chip and Chief clearly states in that link above that the M1 chip is not supported. :(

Yeah,  I am hoping CA fixes this sooner than later.....  at least by the time the M2 chips come out with a larger monitor.

The 22" IMAC monitor with the M1 chip was probably not going to cut it for me anyway.  Hard to go from a 27" screen to a 22" screen.'

I put my money on CA fixing this thing.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Scott ,I'm running 2- 43" 4k monitors on my 3060 card, Windows is good to go. I think Chief is still working on getting Apple in line to work.

Thanks Perry,