Contemporary Siding Look

Chris50

Hello everyone,

I am designing a contemporary looking house plan for a client and they want siding like what you see in the picture. It is kind of a commercial look. I think it is hardie siding panels 3' x 6' or so. Do we have anything in chief architect that I can use for this or do I need to get one of you talented gurus to make it for me.

I use X3, I know, I know, I need to update, will soon.

post-1818-0-85775400-1418072667_thumb.jpg

Chris - can't you just use an existing material and adjust the scale? One other thing might be to make a polyline solid 3'x3'.

Export it out as a jpg. In a photo program you can do a bevel on the edge to create a recess to look like the photo you posted and then bring it bake in and make a material from it.

My best 2 thoughts for now.

Hello everyone,

I am designing a contemporary looking house plan for a client and they want siding like what you see in the picture. It is kind of a commercial look. I think it is hardie siding panels 3' x 6' or so. Do we have anything in chief architect that I can use for this or do I need to get one of you talented gurus to make it for me.

I did this once using plywood as the siding material. Change the color accordingly.

Then what you do is change the pattern to tile. You can change the proportion very easily along with the groove depth.

The dialogue box  allows you to create the groove by changing the grout thickness (aka Joint width)

If you are using "standard views" with your camera, just play with the x and y scales in your texture box to make the material read correctly for 3d renderings.

post-77-0-95378900-1418180339_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-69030000-1418180803_thumb.jpg

Depends how detailed the plan is, polyline solids work well but are time consuming. Or you can create a basic material with a bump map which gives some definition in raytraces for concept stuff. model on the left using material and bump map the right using p.line solids

post-284-0-41530900-1418187396_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello 

I took Val's Idea and experimented a bit with his idea of changing plywood

I'm new to CA so ...

I drew a simple cross in paint and created a material in white

to make a simple rectangular pattern like Hardi commercial

Also made one cross over a photo of concrete for a different effect

I think you could also do a "T" drawing and make an offest pattern too

Cheers Otis

Sample walls hardi panel.plan

post-3675-0-63832200-1421546367_thumb.jpg

post-3675-0-15159400-1421546369_thumb.jpg

post-3675-0-32844900-1421546403_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I dying here.  I thought I had a handle on what to do, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the same look as with VHampton's method above.  I'm using X6, but I'm new to CA so I'm not sure what the problem is.  Here are my screenshots of my material spec.  Any tips?

Thanks,

Nick

post-4237-0-57997500-1423331236_thumb.png

post-4237-0-48518200-1423331237_thumb.png

post-4237-0-89879100-1423331237_thumb.png

post-4237-0-85027700-1423331238_thumb.png

Nick,

Make sure that your material texture starts out as plywood.

It appears that you have the type set for tile....which is correct.

If in doubt...downlaod the sample plan which I posted. Open it and open your current plan at the same time.

Copy and past the walls from my plan into yours and give it a new name under wall types.

That should do it.

All the best,  Val

@Vhampton, thanks for the tip.  I figured out the problem.  I had started with the normal plywood texture, and not the Plywood-hrz.jpg  The Plywood hrz has a pattern to it already, and when it's scaled, allows you to make the desired look.  I will say that I do find it kind of frustrating that there isn't a way of tiling any texture with a grout line.  The texture pattern overrides anything that you try and set up with the material... kind of annoying.  

@jcaffee,  I appreciate the feedback, and I'm definitely looking to learn more about the Wall Material Region.   But I'm not sure how that tool allows you to create the seams on a repeating pattern.  Do you combine it with another tool to get the pattern to repeat?  The picture you attached earlier looks great, BTW.  

Thanks,

Nick

in the picture I posted there are two different region styles: panels and joints.  Both have unique materials and structure.  Using Transform/Replicate in Elevation view, you get very accurate wall panel models.  If you base your models on real world systems (dimensionally) then what you see is what your customer gets--not just a mystery grid picture.

jon

Whoops, my mistake.  I went back and looked at that plan, and this instance uses a finished interior wall surface (the panels) @ 1.5 inches.  The Material Region(s) (the joints) are set @ 0.5 inches, and "Cut Finish Layers of Parent Object" enabled.  This gives good reveal without the danger of z-fighting.

jon

Hello everyone,

Sorry there is no easy way.  Chief does not recognize the concept. It can be done but very time consuming.

• 3 months later...

Use Wall Material Region(s) to create your seams

jon

OK, I give up. Wall material region tutorial is as vague as can be. I need to cover entire house with Hardieplank, and house is to complicated to cover every exterior wall on both floors, plus attic walls, plus gable walls, with material regions, and edit them one by one.

Care to make some step-by-step tutorial how did you made that wall?

What about non-square walls, like attic and gable walls?

OK, I give up. Wall material region tutorial is as vague as can be. I need to cover entire house with Hardieplank, and house is to complicated to cover every exterior wall on both floors, plus attic walls, plus gable walls, with material regions, and edit them one by one.

Care to make some step-by-step tutorial how did you made that wall?

What about non-square walls, like attic and gable walls?

You need to think in reverse.  Your Exterior Wall Layer is "Hardieplank".  The "Wall Material Regions" you would use would be a "Thin Material" with "Cuts Wall Surface Layers" checked.  You make these about 1/2" wide or tall (depending on the direction) as seams to "break up" the wall surface.  IOW, you are making "Reversed Wall Material Regions".