Catolog updates?

BryanXG

Who's responsible for trying to keep the Manufacturer Catalogs up to date?

Does CA periodically prompt the manufacture for updates, or is on the manufacturer to supply updates as they see fit?

Beyond the initial cost to manufactures to be included in CA, is there a cost for updates that might dissuade them from doing so?

The classic example for us is Cambria®... they have added and changed their offerings over the years (as I'm sure most manufacturers do) and there hasn't been a catalog update to reflect this.

I'm not expecting a live update, but something on an annual basis to keep the catalog useful would be nice.

We spend a lot of time browsing catalogs trying to find something close to represent a specific material... life would be so much easier if the manufacturer catalog was up to date.

Is there anything we (as users) can do to help drive this?

21 hours ago, BryanXG said:

Who's responsible for trying to keep the Manufacturer Catalogs up to date?

Does CA periodically prompt the manufacture for updates, or is on the manufacturer to supply updates as they see fit?

Beyond the initial cost to manufactures to be included in CA, is there a cost for updates that might dissuade them from doing so?

The classic example for us is Cambria®... they have added and changed their offerings over the years (as I'm sure most manufacturers do) and there hasn't been a catalog update to reflect this.

I'm not expecting a live update, but something on an annual basis to keep the catalog useful would be nice.

We spend a lot of time browsing catalogs trying to find something close to represent a specific material... life would be so much easier if the manufacturer catalog was up to date.

Is there anything we (as users) can do to help drive this?

1st Off you need to run a library update yourself once a week say, so it can refresh any installed libraries. this week for example Chief was working on Paint Libraries apparently

image.thumb.png.35543e4c5b9e4a5d99f9c5603b7f93c3.pngimage.thumb.png.93ace37a89044ac90f4bdbb2a0728cb6.png

The answer to your question is that Chief requires Manufacturers to update their libraries once per year, ( see Sticky at top about digital Content),

or here https://www.chiefarchitect.com/partners/catalog-partner-program.html

whether they all do it I am not sure about though, however Cambria was updated just last week, I seem to remember.  ( Yes.... 5-19-21 )

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/3d-library/index.php?r=site/detail/887

*Note:  that not all libraries have a Full Manufacturers Catalogue included, but taking a screen grab on a Manufacturers Website is very easy

and then making a New Material out of it if needed.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00767/creating-a-new-material.html

• Upvote 1

^ Pretty much that ^

We update as often as possible and usually manufacturers reach out to us with product updates to be implemented but if we haven't heard from a brand in a while, we'll reach out to them to check for updates. 

-For brands that seem to have gone stale, feel free to reach out to both us here at Chief Content and your specific brand.  Usually, that's enough to jumpstart a conversation on what needs to be updated.

-For brands that are updating at a good clip but you see things that are missing, let us know what you need and we can either find it and add it or have an explanation why something might not be supported yet.

Cambria did indeed update recently, but won't be launched till the 2nd to coincide with the updated products launch.  After June 2nd, take a look and get back to me with stuff that might be missing that you need and I'll get the ball rolling.    

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 2:37 PM, CADustin said:

^ Pretty much that ^

We update as often as possible and usually manufacturers reach out to us with product updates to be implemented but if we haven't heard from a brand in a while, we'll reach out to them to check for updates. 

-For brands that seem to have gone stale, feel free to reach out to both us here at Chief Content and your specific brand.  Usually, that's enough to jumpstart a conversation on what needs to be updated.

-For brands that are updating at a good clip but you see things that are missing, let us know what you need and we can either find it and add it or have an explanation why something might not be supported yet.

Cambria did indeed update recently, but won't be launched till the 2nd to coincide with the updated products launch.  After June 2nd, take a look and get back to me with stuff that might be missing that you need and I'll get the ball rolling.    

Reaching out for Simpson Strong Tie.  

Thanks!