PDF import not showing

tds_cc

Hi everyone,

When I was in CA11 and I started the attached drawing and imported a pdf of a survey. Now that I am working in CA12, the pdf is not showing up. I relinked it to the file and saved in plan and I can click on it and open the dialogue box, but I can't actually see it. I tried to re-import the pdf and it still doesn't show up when I place it. Anyone know what gives? (Plan attached - it's on plot plan anno set.)

Knudsen Concept 5 TO CA FOLKS.plan

Imported images and PDF files are assigned by Default to the "CAD Default" layer so if for some reason that layer is turned off (unchecked) in Display Options for your plan view, it would of course not show visually while still "being there". Check for that. If no joy, I will download and look at your plan file.

DJP

26 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Imported images and PDF files are assigned by Default to the "CAD Default" layer so if for some reason that layer is turned off (unchecked) in Display Options for your plan view, it would of course not show visually while still "being there". Check for that. If no joy, I will download and look at your plan file.

DJP

Thanks for the replay David. I just checked to make sure - it's on a new layer I created that is turned on.

3 minutes ago, tds_cc said:

it's on a new layer I created that is turned on.

In the shared plan there is NO PDF file, only its "placeholder" (the actual file is associated with the plan file but is not visually present).

the thing to understand is that when you assign a material or import an image or PDF it is ONLY referenced in the plan. The plan file is reading it from a location on YOUR hard drive, it is not embedded in the plan file but it is just being associated with the plan file while it is actually physically  located  somewhere on your computer.

What probably happened is you  perhaps renamed the file or deleted or changed its original location AFTER you imported it into your plan file. Plan files read material and image files that are physically elsewhere on your  computer and IF you ever move them, change their original location or name all that is left in the plan file visually is a blank placeholder as you currently have now.

DJP

2 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

In the shared plan there is NO PDF file, only its "placeholder" (the actual file is associated with the plan file but is not visually present).

the thing to understand is that when you assign a material or import an image or PDF it is ONLY referenced in the plan. The plan file is reading it from a location on YOUR hard drive, it is not embedded in the plan file but it is just being associated with the plan file while it is actually physically  located  somewhere on your computer.

What probably happened is you  perhaps renamed the file or deleted or changed its original location AFTER you imported it into your plan file. Plan files read material and image files that are physically elsewhere on your  computer and IF you ever move them, change their original location or name all that is left in the plan file visually is a blank placeholder as you currently have now.

DJP

I already checked that. The file is properly linked on my computer with no warning light. It is still not showing up though. 

On 5/20/2021 at 3:32 PM, solver said:

Have you opened the PDF itself?

I opened your plan, selected and opened the PDF box and changed the filename to one on my system and it displayed.

The pdf file opened fine. But you inspired me to make a copy of the pdf and give it a new name. When I relinked to the new file from CA, it worked! Thanks!